30" Sign Index Cut

Hey everyone, hoping someone maybe able to lend me a hand. So I need to do my first index cut. It is a 30" long sign. I use Fusion360 to make most of my cad files and FireControl to cut. How would one of you go about index cutting this?

I was thinking of making an index brace bar. Then in Fusion360 making two cut paths. First for Stark…then slide the material down and then continue with the Ville section…I have plenty of material before I cut it out of 3/16. Already have done 5 other names that have been under 23 inches so no worries there. Much appreciated!

File to be cut:

It seems like a perfectly reasonable approach to me, although you’ll have to rotate 90 degrees so the long axis is in Y direction. Easy to stage and with just the horizontal bar to be joined, it will be easy to cover up any slight errors. I can’t help you with the Fusion CAM, however, but @TinWhisperer is the Fusion Maven so maybe he’ll chime in on that.

1 Like

When I get back to the office so I’ll look into it further but
@JPep recently has done a nice write-up on the subject.

3 Likes

Hey there, thanks for the responses. I’ve done multiple cut paths on a single part…nothing larger then 10x10" though. From cutting out holes to then just bend lines…So I’ve got the dual cut paths down, I guess I just need to figure how to set up the next cut after I move the material. All my other dual style cuts have been with a single fixed piece of material.

I suppose I could have the name put into two sections. Cut 1 and Cut 2. Where cut one ends that is where Cut 2 will begin…The tricky part will be determining how far to move the material…Possilby have cut two start on a corner or mounting hole…I’ll post up more as I go!

Ok, update. I wasn’t able to produce an index cut as I had hoped but after a little play time on FireControl and finding the proper degree to cut at I successfully cut out a 30x4" sign name at a 46 degree angle on the crossfire.

So, it can be done but test on some scrap first of course and I did 3 dry runs. After all 6 names where cut, I bent them in my slip roll and powder coated them gloss black.

These are 3/16 aluminum cut at 45imph, .8 pierce delay, 40 amps. Not much dross. The powder coat really filled in the rough aluminum side finish and they look great! They will be mounted to a fountain memorial in Trinidad, CO.

Thanks!

4 Likes