10mm mild steel with razor cut 45

Hey guys, I will be cutting a lot of 10mm mild steel flange plates for exhausts etc. have been getting good results but now starting to run into problems. Went to do a run of 6 plates the other day and found after the first 2 plates that the machine would pierce and start cutting but then not be able to maintain full cut and would start only cutting through half the thickness. Swap out consumables for brand new ones and would only get 2-3 plates again before this would start happening again. Any ideas? I do have clean dry air going to the machine aswell. Just about to upgrade to a machine torch with hypertherm consumables, do you think this will help?

NO it won’t help. You need to check your air supply and make sure it is holding 90 to 120 at the plasma cutter when cutting.

1 Like

No problems, I will bump up the air pressure. It was factory set at 70 psi. Thanks for the info

Not the cutting air pressure on the gauge. The pressure from the compressor must stay form 90 to 120 coming to the plasma cutter.

1 Like

If I’m cutting and the compressor kicks on I will pause between cuts and let it catch up then un pause.
If I don’t the pressure can drop too much and the cut quality starts suffering as a result.

Ah ok I understand. I will monitor it and make sure it’s keeping up.