Z Axis Seized up, Coupler screws checked [SOLVED]

I was cutting a piece when a loud whine came from the z axis motor, The program stopped running as THC determined the torch was not moving at all and did not make contact with the metal right before the cut was about to start. I took the plastic guard off the torch to peak in at the z axis coupler and was able to snug 1 of the 4 hex heads just slightly after reading another forum saying that’s the only thing that can prevent the Z axis from going up and down. I’m still having issues though even though all 4 are tight. I played with the machine settings and found that the Z axis moves up and down freely at 10IPM but is completely locked up at 50IPM and faster. Curious if anyone has any pointers and Id love to answer any and all questions. (Im aware XR has on the phone support but just barely missed them as they left the office for the day and am working on a time sensitive project for a client so figured no harm in asking here to see if I can resolve the issue tonight and save them a phone call tomorrow) Thank you guys!

Make sure that motor plug connection at the electronic control box is seated tight.

Checked that as well. I took the 4 hex screws out and then retightened them down. Everything seems very snug. hmmmm

Is there slag or something jammed in z axis screw or bearing at bottom of z axis screw need some lube?

That’s what I was wondering since its in a super cold garage during this Utah snow storm, maybe its literally freezing up and doesn’t like running so cold. I lubed it up, blew all the debris out and took a light to make sure everything was cleared out and lubricated. No such luck, gonna make a call in and report back.

Well, that sucks, hoping for your sake it would be a simple fix…

1 Like

Latest update, I called in and Cameron quickly had it all troubleshooted and figured out. He had me of all things disconnect the “X Axis” plug from the back of the PC. I jogged the Z axis up and down at any IPM and it worked flawlessly… I plug the X axis in and it gets stuck again. I dont fully understand how that could work but he determined it was an issue with the Z motor driver I guess and had a new part shipped immediately. Amazing service! Above and beyond for sure.

6 Likes

spit balling here but im wondering if z and x share a common power supply between the two on the driver and unplugging x shunts enough amperage to run at any required speed on z.

Did you get machine up and running?

I sure did! Just got the replacement driver yesterday and it was basically plug and play. Took just a bit since it was new territory and wasn’t part of the XR assembly but not an issue just going slow. Got it solved and she is back to running smooth and proper!

3 Likes