YesWelder CUT-55DS Non-HF Plasma Cutter Candidate?

I’m thinking about buying a table and I’m planning the plasma cutter and air compressor. I found this plasma cutter by YesWelder. I have one of their welders and it has been great. The plasma cutter says non-HF so it should work, right? Here’s the product page. CUT-55DS Pro Non-HF Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter| YesWelder Please let me know what you think.

Is it listed on as compatible on Langmuir site?

Bite the bullet and purchase a Hypertherm plasma cutter, I wouldn’t waste the time or money on cheap Chinese crap. I have a Titanium 45 with aftermarket machine torch on my pro table for 4 years now no issues at all with it, but still Chinese just higher-grade Chinese then the ones off the innerweb. I have Hypertherm on my XR table high quality and trouble free 2 years get a lot more cut and pierce out of the consumables.

1 Like

But not everyone can afford or needs the best.

1 Like

All the wasted material, consumables and ulcers from the stress to get the cheap Chinese machines cutting, a good one pay for itself first year…

1 Like

Maybe that’s why my tummy has been hurting lately!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I bought a YES Welder last year and love it. I have the Hypertherm and love it. Two different worlds.

One thing about Hypertherm, you will get a detailed owners manual with settings that are actually the correct settings for cutting.

The YES Welder has one of the worst manuals, more like a pamphlet. I suspect their plasma cutter will be the same.

Knick is right that you can make do with a lesser brand and probably be satisfied. We have just seen many people on this forum show remorse about their plasma cutter choice and blame the table for their cutting angst. In the 2+ years I have been on this forum, I have only seen this question on this YES Welder plasma cutter come up one other time. (Perhaps that individual will weigh in on their choice…don’t know what they ended up buying) Perhaps it will prove to be a reasonable choice. Who knows.

If you are working a full time job and don’t want to be tinkering with your CNC operation all the time then I would say get Hypertherm or one of the cheaper ones already on Langmuir’s list.

If you are planning to make money or use it for your trade, go with Hypertherm. “Buy once, cry once.” :man_shrugging:

Plus, the resale of a Hypertherm unit will be no problem unless you get a three phase one!

2 Likes

Is there anything specific on the YesWelder plasma cutter webpage that precludes compatibility with the CNC table? CUT-55DS Pro Non-HF Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter| YesWelder I’m just trying to get to work in a Corolla, but rat is suggesting I buy an Audi A7 instead, haha.

I work with a cheap shit Lotos 5500LPT and I’m satisfied with it. However, I wouldn’t try to do anything other than Steel maybe 3/8s thick, AL maybe 1/4" thick, and Stainless? eh, probably 1/4" thick would be ok AND nothing more imperative than a hobby project where I’m willing to file, sand, grind and put up with some waggles in the cuts.

If I was selling stuff or making some serious metal parts, I would not use a cheap shit plasma cutter. I’m not sure WHAT I would use, that’s a hypothetical I’m not interested in exploring, but I do know that I wouldn’t use what I have.

3 Likes

Simple answer: No. It is your choice, your money.

I have another thought. Consider this one from Amazon, free shipping. It has more capacity than the one you are looking at for $60 more AND: FREE RETURN.

Order it to arrive when your table is set up. See if you can get it to work.

1. If you don’t like it or
  2. it doesn’t work or
  3. you get an inheritance from an uncle you never met or
  4. Richard (@rat196426 ) sends you money for the Audi or
  5. you realize we are really looking out for you

You can return it and then buy something better.

I did some research. Here is the duty cycle on the YesWelder 55

Here is the $900 HF Titanium 45

Conclusion: The $300 YesWelder kicks the butt of the Titanium if you look at duty cycles. Can you trust these numbers???
The numbers are saying:

1. At 110V 25A the YesWelder is at 60% duty cycle meaning you can cut for 6 minutes and off for 4 minutes. At 20A YesWelder says you can cut the entire 10 minutes without a rest.
  2. At 120V at 20A the Titanium is at 35% meaning you can cut for 3-1/2 minutes and off for 6-1/2 minutes.

Note: I don’t think you should plan to run any of these units on 110V. You will definitely exceed your duty cycle then you are likely to burn out your plasma cutter if you do that enough times.

Thanks! I really like your idea! I’m definitely more inclined to try this if I can get started with a plasma cutter that’s a tenth of the recommended cost. I’m 100% ready to run it on 220V. Can you manually pause the machine in between cuts? This would provide time for the plasma cutter and air compressor(s) to rest and catch up. Ever heard of someone adding ferrite cores to the cables that connect to the CNC control box? I’ve made good progress on the air supply side. My wife and I got two of these compressors today for $200 each. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/air-compressors/20-gallon-16-hp-135-psi-oil-lube-vertical-air-compressor-64857.html I’m going to connect them at tank pressure, combine the lines, then run it through an filter/dryer/regulator combo. Together they should be able to do 8 SCFM at 90 psi. I’ve heard that CNC plasma uses a lot of air.

Thanks TomWS! I’m encouraged to know that it’s possible! What’s your air setup? What is your limiting factor right now?

Yes. You just press the space bar and FireControl stops the action and the torch is turned off. You would not want to do this while it was burning thru metal but certainly during the rapid movement to the next cut.

Yes. This is recommended. Many buy the USB/printer cable with the ferrite coils already installed.

As far as air, it sounds like you have the volume you need. Consider adding some form of automatic tank draining system or be proactive with draining the tanks of any collected moisture once or twice a day. Once you start cutting, you may need to do more to dry the air.

1 Like

I’d put the Primeweld Cut 60 on your shortlist of plasma cutters if you decide to stay budget, but I’d also recommend saving for a Hypertherm if there’s any chance of swinging it financially. I’m fully kitted out with my 2nd Gen Cut 60 and I still dream about the new Hypertherm units with the Sync modules and fine cut consumables.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I understand the question. My setup meets MY needs. Bear in mind, I did spend a bit of money and time replacing the electronics on the CrossFire table (replaced the enclosure with a splash proof one, replaced the stepper drivers with reliable ones, and added my own Z and THC setup, and limit switches - my system predates the Generation 2 electronics). But the PC itself meets my meager requirements.

I have a 60G Dewalt that supplies air to the shop, distributed using RapidAir plumbing. I have an advantage that the air supply is plumbed in the crawlspace under my workshop where the year round temperature is in the 50s and makes for a natural condensing cooler. I use simple water traps down there and then the supply to the table goes through a coalescing filter and MotorGuard filter.

2 Likes

Same here but I have a 1st gen Cut60. Getting good results for my hobby usage, but definitely a longer learning curve than Hypertherm guys report here.

Friend of mine offered to let me borrow his Hypertherm 45 (he also has 85), but I said “maybe later”.
I don’t want to get spoiled and then at midnight turn back into a toad!

3 Likes

Maybe just be one of those guys who never returns it? or returns it when its broke :smiley:

2 Likes

If this is all the money in your budget for a plasma cutter then buy it. It will work for most hobby users. Sorry I wouldn’t own a Corolla or Audi A7 so I can’t help you on that. :rofl:

1 Like

So I just bought a plasma cutter! Not the YesWelder, haha.

HF just released a coupon for it, making it $750. I saw quite a few people using the Titanium 45 to cut some pretty thick stuff on this forum. Looks like there is pretty good support for it too. Anyone got advice for using the Titanium 45 with the Pro table? Thanks to everyone that chimed it, even if it was to recommend a $3,000 plasma cutter, haha, that’s more than the whole table!

1 Like

Wsidr1, I was looking at the Cut 60. That thing is beast! But I saw that arcdroid removed it from their approved list because it caused interference issues. It was at the top of my list. I bet the Crossfire has no issue with it though.