Been busy busy busy. I just assembled my Crossfire table after buying it during Black Friday with all the trimmings. Don’t wanna complain on here……..but the assembly instructions . Anyways, completed the assembly, and ran the break in program. Part way through the break in program the Y axis stopped moving and the step motor made a really loud noise. Immediately pressed stop. Was able to get it to jog little bits, but now it won’t jog at all. Was having some of the same issue with the x-axis, but just greased the lead screw and that seems to be running pretty good now, though there are two slight clicks in the exact same spot on the lead screw when it jogs in and out. I assume there is some rough defect spots that will hopefully go away after breaking in.
Back to the y-axis. Removed the motor from the table and tried running it. The spindle sort of moves a millimeter or two and stops with each press. It won’t spin. Tried it on x-axis and z-axis ports and same thing. Tried the other stepper motors on each axis port and no issues. Only this motor is having problems on every port. Also checked for any burnt pins, as well as connections inside the housing. Nothing was noticeable.
Would check the motors ohms resistance, but don’t know the pins to check in the connector. Seems though that the step motor failed. Is there a consensus on that, or any additional recommendations to try?
1. make sure the Y axis connector to the enclosure is well seated - known problem, the D-Sub connectors don’t seat completely
the wires to the Stepper motor driver are all seated properly in the terminal block and TIGHT! - known problem, they make contact, but are loose. When they wire gets shifted, you lose connection.
Check the power supply output, make sure it’s 36 volts.
Swap Axis and see if the problem stays with the motor or the driver. Known problem the shitty TB6600 drivers crap out if they aren’t happy. How do you make them happy?
When you say the Y axis connector to the enclosure, do you mean inside the enclosure between the main board and the connector end inside the housing? Where the motor connector plugs in was very solid and secure from when I initially assembled it. There is no play in the connection after tightening the thumb screws down. I have seen some photos and threads talking about replacing the thumbscrews with some other screws, but these were not included in my kit.
I am not clear on what is meant by the stepper motor driver. Are you referring to the board that the female connector in the housing is wired to? If so, I don’t think this is the issue. See response to #4
Do you mean to check the actual power supply in the enclosure which supplies the power to all components? If so, I do not think that would be the issue. If it were, I would have issues with all other components not functioning most likely as well. But I will check the voltage when I get home.
I have already completed these steps, it was in my explanation. I tried all 3 motors in every axis plug. The X and Z stepper motors functioned properly in every position (driver?). I assume by driver you mean the port for each axis that I plug the stepper motors into. The Y axis stepper motor experienced the same issue with every axis position (driver). I also tried the motor with and without the extension adapter that came with the XL table upgrade. same issue persisted.