Y axis screws coming loose

Is there anyone else who has a y axis screw that’s coming loose ? I’ve checked out the problem and it looks like it’s a little short . The Allen lock screws keep coming loose. Thinking about mig the ends and grinding it to fit.

whoa…reach out to Langmuir support from the main webpage…explain the problem…they will sort out your screw issue…
it is never good having loose screws…many guys here will tell you I have quite a few…hehehehe

2 Likes

try Locktite

I have done that but the shaft is just to short. If I put the Collette on first and lock in the set screws and then tighten (snug ) the bearing Allen the Collette is not but 1/2 way in the bearing.
But thanks for your response.

Can you loosen the coupler set screws at the other end and move the entire shaft doen to where you need it?

Are you sure it’s the lead screw? I seem to recall that the couplers between the lead screws and the motors were different sizes. You may have a long one where a short one was intended to go and got left with the short one where the long one needs to be.

Or loosen the coupler off the motor shaft and slide the coupler to where you need it

I have heard that before…said my wife …NEVER!!!

Measure the Ball Screw shaft and the motor shaft diameters and the length that the coupler should be. Contact Langmuir with the information and Langmuir will replace. Or you can call Grainger, MSC, or another supply store and purchase a longer coupler. This may or may not help but it is a suggestion!
@toolboy, untie the two knots and let some more rope out!!! HAaaaaa!!

1 Like

You need to order two of these to replace the couplers that come with the unit.

2 Likes

Thanks Woody! I guess you had the same problem?

1 Like

I did with my Y axis…parts deliver next week :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got then in my cart. I’ll have them by March 2nd.
I looked at them and it’s a lot better way to go.
As the way they are now the set screws don’t have a flat place to hit and the slightest movement and they loosen up. Thanks Woody!