Y Axis Issue: Will move either direction, no matter what button

Best way to describe is I can me it closer to me, it will bind, and then as I move it towards me again it will change direction the opposite way, even though I’m using the button to come towards me. Same goes the other way.

We’ve been having binding issues, have torn down and put back together. Replacement motor for Y-1 and new computer unit as there was some smoke/electrical burnout on old unit is re-assembly.

Any help?

Erratic movement like that indicates a loose connection at the DB9 connector. The screws that came with most of the connectors were too long and push the connector out when screwed all the way in. This causes arcing across the pins and erratic/ unexpected direction changes from the stepper motor.

Uh Oh, Smoke Genie…Bad.

You may want to pull your control unit back off and inspect all the wires, connections, and plugs on the case for melting and shorting across - READ - two wires running next to each other, one gets stupid hot and the insulation melts, and then in turn melts the insulation next to it, and then the two wires are now glues to each other and creates a new circuit.

Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason why the insulation melts at one spot, and not in another. It is not always easy to see. I have had this happen to me, where I thought I had repaired the short when the connector was replaced (it was quite crispy), just to find out 18 inches down the wire harness, the power wire was melted and the insulation fused to another wire and shorted across to the other wire causing me all sorts of fits when the machine was running.