Y axis binding both rails

Finally got to power up today! BUT there was an issue. The Y axis started binding about 6 inches from travel limit on both rails. This happened on about the same place on both pos and neg directions. Read and followed the assembly instructions and all seemed ok until motor movement. I found that when the motors struggled and stopped movement that the bearings were in a bind (not all of them)
First and subsequent loosening and adjusting only made problem worse until they were so loose the entire gantry would no longer run true and maintain square.
Not sure what’s causing the bind but am considering removing the screws and adjusting to full travel manually and then reinstall screws and see where I’m at.
Anyone been down this road?
Thanks !
Caddy

@caddy make sure the red brackets are in the right locations (links below)

4 Likes

Well, I’m spite of the 110 + temps we have “enjoyed “ for the past week or so ( more to come​:scream:) I did in fact get full travel on the Y axis. Still a bit unclear as to why it was hanging up ( Tin: I had the brackets correct initially) which made the resolution even more puzzling. I ended up removing the Y screws and read the instructions again ( I swear I did it before :face_with_spiral_eyes:) one thing still is unclear though…… I ran both X and Y manually by hand and they were good but after the lead screw assembled clearances got appreciatively tighter at the travel ends which was the original problem. Guessing the alignment in the screw mount is a bit different??
So, for the moment I’m pressing forward getting closer to cutting!! Once again, a big THANKS for the help, oh yes, can’t just walk away like all is well:
Z works fine but jerky both up and down I thought about lubricants for the screws but all that would do is open the dirt door! Ideas?
Cya
Caddy

1 Like