XR stops in the middle of program

I have an XR and it has been running fine since ive had it (about 6 months) . Saturday i was running it and it stopped in the middle of a program, torch kept firing where it stopped in the program for about a minute with no torch movement before it cut off, fire control locked up and with green running light still flashing, had to shut everything down and reboot everthing to get it going again only to have it do the same thing. Tried 3 different programs (ones i have successfully cut before) did the same thing on all 3. Does this sound like a bug in fire control and I would have to unistall and reinstall fire control? Can I backup the programs on it to a fire :fire: stick and then reload them after I reinstall fire contol or would this :thinking: tranfer the problem back into fire control if that is the issue? Im using sheetcam as a post processor if that matters. Your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Interesting. try to straight line cuts one with the THC off and the other which is THC on and the initial THC voltage test. Maybe your voltage module is packed it in and getting voltage spikes. Which plasma cutter are you using and how’s it hooked up? Maybe it’s internal voltage dividing board or connection has given up the ghost

Hypertherm 85 sync, came with plug and play cable. I just all of a sudden started having this issue out of the blue, thats why im questioning if fire control could be the issue!

A bad voltage module (vim) can cause fire control to freeze.

Doing a simple straight line test with and without the THC could definitely narrow down your troubleshooting scenarios.

Thank you, im going to try that this morning while waiting on Langmuir tech support to wake up. They are about an hour behind me.

Not really related to the topic but @bigrigs1 I’ve run sync consumables with the adapter so it doesn’t log any data on my consumables. Have you ever read the data on your consumables using the machine? Or has your machine ever warned you that it’s time to change a consumable? I wonder if some of these options need to be turned on?

Im not really sure I follow, im pretty new to the CNC world but i am learning, slowly but surly. It never warned me about changing consumables but i did have one go bad [probably my fault because it only had about 200 pierces on it) butni didnt get any warning. Talked to langmuir twice now and they had me try something but it didnt work, now I guess there is a meeting going on to try and figure out my issue. Im waiting on a call back. Indid try the straight cut like you suggested with the same outcome. I know they can come in remotely and see whats going on but that hasnt been suggested yet. Everthing has been working fine with no real issues when this decided to happen so i dont think anything has changed but who knows for sure, somtikes things get changed by accident and you dont realize it. Computer stuff is a little tricky sometimes.

1 Like

BTW, whats the deal on the adapter? Ive seen them offered but didnt think I needed one or why I would need one! Can you explain their use?

Try to totally unplug the vim box and do a straight line cut.

I have to use an adapter for the sync consumables because my duramax torch doesn’t take a sync consumable natively. I think your sync plasma machine should be able to scan the cartridge and let you know a bunch of information like how much it’s been used and what condition the machine thinks it’s in.

2 Likes

I have talked to langmuir customer support several times and had decent results but with this issue I’m having very poor results getting any help. I’ve talked to them 3 different times and it always lets try this, so I try it and it doesn’t work so lets try this and that doesn’t work and then it takes 2 hours to get ahold of them again. It seems that they have hired some new support staff but only 1 guy in the company seems to know anything and you cant get ahold of him or get him to call you back. I use this machine in my business to make parts and when its down, I’m down. most of the issues I’ve had i have had to figure them out on my own and its taken some time but I have figured them out but it can be very time consuming for me. this issue I am lost and getting frustrated. Besides spending $13,500.00 on the XR and plasma cutter I just spent another $3000.00 with them before I started having this problem. May not seem like much money to some but this is my retirement and I,ve invsted a lot in it. Im gonna give them one more chance tomarrow to help me figure this issue out and if I cant get some results were probably done. Sorry about the vent but I’m a little PO right now. I’m wondering if i should delete Fire control and then download it again? Ive been running this XR for 6 months and up until now, ive had very few problems and nothing has changed.

Check the usb cable from computer to control box conections,unplug and plug back in to ports.

2 Likes

Your spot on! this morning I took it lose, cleaned everything up, rerouted it as far away from everything else as I could and she ran flawlessly. I posted in a few different places and some suggestions were to take a look at the USB cable so I did. thats the kind of suggestions I was looking for, something I could physically eliminate by testing or otherwise before moving on to the next thing. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Problem Solved!

1 Like

Hello -I am NOT a XR owner but if I by a LMS product its going to be the XR with a Hypertherm – Im on the fence whether to use a XR or just bite the get big Torchmate bullet— whats your opinion on the machine as a whole? To me these machines its ALLLLL about tech support! Id hate to save $25k only to lose $25k in potential business or cut quality.

Thanks for the info!