X axis locking up

Mine also had a sticky spot and I had to adjust the bearing carrier’s and it resolved that for me. Makes me think that you just have too much pressure on the tubing to roll smoothly.

Cant see if the motor is turning, Sounds like it but the lead screw not moving. Check the locknut on coupling at motor. I had to use locktite to keep them snug.

1 Like

Ended up being a deformed lead nut bracket. Chewed up the lead nut pretty bad. Have to get a new one somehow.

It’ll do that if you didn’t pull it back over the collar before threading it on.

I couldn’t even get it to start onto the lead screw until I pulled the collar back. It was the bracket in this case. I basically tore the x axis apart several times trying to fix little issues I found that might be causing it. In the end it was just that bracket being way out of square. Once I put it in my press brake and straightened it it ran quieter than it ever had before.

1 Like

Ah. There were one or two reports of that early on but never so bad it destroyed a lead screw. Usually just some binding that was caught & fixed early on.

Ha I’d got to the point I thought it was just noisy and would be fine. First time I let it cut on its own without watching it it destroyed a 24" x 36" piece of 1/2" plate. I had patterned out just by binding a few times. I walked over from my lathe and was like wtf and saw it bind a couple more times in the process. Guess I will babysit it forever now.

Once it’s setup correctly it just cooks along. I keep an eye on it anyway for tip ups but haven’t had a wild cut in along time. But it’s worth watching especially with something big & expensive on the table.

I’m mostly cutting structural components out of thicker material so i dont have the tip ups.

I’m having the same issue. It seems that the x axis stepper it’s not happy. I ran the break in program at 50% because it was making bad noises. I uncoupled the x stepper and turned the screw on the end by hand with the short side of an Allen wrench in the bearing screw. It moved easily. With the stepper unhooked from the screw i can stop it easily by pinching the coupler with 2 fingers. Please advise.

1 Like

Update. I took the stepper apart and put it back together and it works fine now. I ran the break in over 3x at the full 300"/min. Not sure why, but it’s a quick test if you have the same issue.

1 Like

You say that you took apart the stepper? Do you mean removed from the gantry or actually disassembled the motor? I just ran the break-in program and I could smell the X-axis Motor and it was warm. The program seemed to run fine but I’m concerned about the X-axis Motor after reading the few topics on here. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

I removed the screw coupler, undid the 4 screws holding the stepper to there bracket, then i removed the 4 long screws holding the caps on the stepper. It’s real easy.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. I may give that a try if I still have an issue. I wonder if the motor shifted which is causing the issue and potential binding. Thanks again!

1 Like