Would mounting a 220 & 110 receptacle near the control box cause any issues?

Want to mount on the leg close to controller. I’ve heard of interference from the cutter but not sure what causes that or if the receptacle would cause similar interference.

Not likely. Interference is mostly from the plasma / arc and related to that - the plasma is an electrically noisy machine - depends on the quality of the plasma machine’s internal electronics. Normal 60hz (or 50hz) AC power is not going to cause you any trouble if it’s wired and grounded correctly.

You’re going to mount an outlet to the leg of the crossfire itself? It’s gets pretty splashy around there, I would reconsider if possible.

Yeah - that’s a good point!

you can use an exterior covered box.
I did this for 120v power for pump and control box…then ran a cab-tire (extension cord black rubber) to a wall outlet.
do not ground the box to the table…but make sure the box you mount is plugged into a GFI in the shop.

2 Likes

Its been tested and proven. Before the GFI kicks out your dead.

Exactly what I’m using.

What exactly do you mean here?

i think he means its a bad idea. if for some reason you get a short or something and you get electrocuted, you’ll be dead before the GFI kicks in.

I used an IP66 waterproof switch box from Amazon and wired in a couple of pigtails cut from outdoor extension cords and connected the machine lead direct to the highest power switch option (a bit over 2kw for highest power switch, and 660w for the other 2). It’s not a 100% waterproof solution, but it’s fused, and if I ever get uncomfortable about the moisture I can always put one of the gasketed clamshell deals around the 2 plugs to increase the water resistance of the whole solution. Side benefit is that now I have 1 8’ long cord coming off the table that powers everything except the computer and plasma cutter. That’s far enough away to keep it out of the splash zone when I plug it into an extension cord.

One day I very well may add a permanently connected pigtail for the computer to eliminate an extra cord once I have the computer on a machine mounted stand.

Blockquote

Looks good.