World Map with weathered wood

Hey, remember the world map in the Fire share site?

9 Likes

Turned out good

The weathered wood makes a nice background. Did you sandblast the surface? The swirling pattern makes it look like the seas. Nice job.

1 Like

Thanks Tom! Yes, a bit of blasting, some wire cup, and some," hmmm, wonder what scotch-brite would do over there?"

Yeah man, great job. Bolts give a nice touch.

Dunno whether to credit Danny or Mike, but a big shout out, (and attribution), to Langmuir Systems!

1 Like

Hi. You did a fine job on your world map. The look of the metal really compliments the weathered wood! I’m a new user to the world of plasma cnc and was curious to know how difficult it is to do detailed art work on a cnc such as yours!

Hey Timmer, if the table is nice and square and all the bearings and such are rolling like they should, it really comes down to the quality of the file and the dryness of your air. ( Lotsa dross? Water in the air. Jagged cuts? Water in the air. Bad tuna sandwich down at Arlo and Suzy’s? You need a better air dryer). But seriously, assemble things properly, have sufficient air, take some time to run some test cuts at and around the cut charts in your manual, draw or obtain a good file, it will do great things for you.

1 Like

Hey Keith, Thanks very much for the great info. It makes me a lot more confident about doing some detailed work in the future.

@keith1

Remember what size you did?

Thanks

Right at 24x48 to the bolt holes

1 Like

I’ve cut a couple of these out and just a word of warning to anyone. The equator on this map sits at about a 15° angle rising to the right. I ended up repositioning the equator to run parallel to the floor because I couldn’t handle having it run crooked.

2 Likes

Now hold on a second there TW. This planet has a 23.44 (or so) axial tilt. I cut it while standing at 35.481( or so) latitude and a negative 97.54 ( or so) longitude. Converting the flattened sphere to a Mercator projection at those coordinates, resulted in a 15 degree offset due to the 16 fluid ounces of Old Rasputin Stout consumed while converting to SVG, ( accounting for the thickness of the 16 gauge mild steel, of course).

5 Likes

HAHAHAHA! You should also mention it wouldn’t have fit within the size if it hadn’t been tilted slightly…

1 Like

(Shhhh, I sounded smart for a minute there)

3 Likes

Ya’ll are cray ,cray… :crazy_face:

:thinking: if you mount it on a roller bearing for earthquake areas :money_mouth_face:

Thanks for heads up :beers:

SO I cut the map, dxf worked great. buddy wants the other re-mix one.

it is a SVG, imported into inkscape and saved as dxf…went to open DXF in cad and it is fubared…how do you guys go from SVG to DXF?

Friendly world map bump

And you’re opening this in which cad?

I prefer an SVG unless I know the DXF is from the Autodesk ecosystem, if I am importing into Fusion 360.

1 Like

Mastercam 8 and 9, convert from dxf to mc8/mc9 and do whatever rotate, change origin, scale, change colors or entities etc add text and then save as dxf and import into sheetcam,

I did import svg it into sheetcam but it chose all my inside offsets and decided they where outside ones

(that may be due to me using colors as groups )