Will this work with a non-pro original Crossfire?

I have seen a few older posts about it not being compatible but nothing in recent memory. Looking through the documentation it never actually mentions ‘pro’ other than the images are shown are on a pro table. I do not have a THC.

I find Mach3 a bit lacking in a few things and the ‘start from here’ selector feature and reposition features would make my life a LOT easier.

1 Like

FireControl requires the new controller board used in the CrossFire Pro and, now, in the latest version of the CrossFire. Supposedly there is an upgrade kit for the original CrossFire in the works but we haven’t seen any news in a while.

1 Like

We are still waiting. They did say they would have it by now…

I recently saw on their instagram, they reshared someone who had a Crossfire and was running firecontrol.

Their documentation online also now says it supports the crossfire…but unsure about the board upgrade.

Sometime last year they started shipping Crossfire standard tables (the original 2x2 size) with the new control box which uses FireControl instead of Mach3 to drive the table.

It may be that they can’t get enough control boxes to offer as an upgrade to the original old tables yet though. I’d rather just swap the box than do a board upgrade - just easier to unbolt the old and plug in the new one than open it up and pull out the board to replace it and not muck something else up at the same time :slight_smile:

Bump - Any update on this? I have a Version 1 and would really like to run FireControl

1 Like

Mach3 isn’t working for you? Or is there another feature you’re looking for other than the PC application?

Well, it’s not that Mach3 doesn’t work for me and possibly you can do some of these things and I just don’t know it because I am very new to all of this but the interface looks so much nicer for one but some of the things that caught my eye were:

Being able to Scale and Rotate and having a nicer interface for jog speeds, etc. It’s just kind of a bummer that I bought my table, didn’t set it up for a year while my garage was being built and then when I did assemble it that the software has a newer rendition that I can’t get…which is my fault for buying it and sitting on it but I knew I needed to buy one when I first saw it haha. I saw the interface for FireControl and was like “Woah, that’s nice” where as Mach3 looks kind of Janky… or at the least kind of like some old legacy software in comparison. Again, I’m new to this and making stuff in F360+Mach3 but was kind of hoping I could give FireControl a try too :smile:

1 Like

Reach out to Langmuir…maybe they can help out with this…brand new never used…ya never know what they will do…
nothing ventured nothing gained…

1 Like

Completely unrelated but I see your name all over these forums and I’m sure you’ll know the answer to this: The two included shims for setting your torch height, is there like a rule of thumb for this? like thin metal thin shim? or only use the larger over 1/4"???

I have the Razorweld 30 if that matters?

you obviously have the original cross fire 2’ x 2’ model without Torch Height Control…
I wish I could help you on this…but the thinner shim is most likely .06 of an inch…which is the height for best cutting…the other shim…not sure…sorry

1 Like

Sounds good, thanks for your help, this is a great forum and there is a TON of good info in here as I am browsing through!

there is also a facebook page…for those that use facebook…

for those that do not like or care about facebook…please ignore my comment…

In my book ‘works’ beats ‘not janky’…

3 Likes

Mach3 has been used worldwide for plasma, laser, router systems for a long time. In the industrial world, software is not “Apple computers” pretty, but it works. Everything has a learning curve and it takes time to understand what parts of any software will accomplish the needed tasks. In the same fashion, Sheetcam is not pretty either, but it works. There are good tutorials on youtube for both Mach3 and Sheetcam.

As for the shims, ideally the 1/16" shim should be the better cut setting, but I find in all my cutting that the 1/8" shim does the job correctly for me time after time. I’m using the Crossfire 2x2 and Primeweld Cut60 mainly 50A tips bought from Amazon, designing in ViaCad 2D, sending to Sheetcam, cutting with Mach3. I am getting parts with cut quality about as good as I could ever expect. I have some leftover plasma cut parts from a local company I use for most of my raw steel purchases and the parts I cut on my Crossfire are better than theirs up to 1/4", haven’t moved to thicker steel yet.

3 Likes

Thank you, that helps.

I have no problems using Mach3 at all but looking at some of the videos of Firecontrol it just looks like indexing parts and doing multiples could be better. Just wanted to try something else out if it had better features.

Professionally I’ve been in IT for 20 years so I have a natural tendency to want to try out all kinds of variants of new tech to see what is best and where things have improved. More curiosity than being hamstrung by an existing program.

If you like to experiment, there is plenty of opportunity for that. From a mechanical perspective there are a ton of examples where people have enhanced their systems.

From a SW perspective, however, since both variants of CF use proprietary controllers, your best choice would be to replace either one of them with an Open Source design, like SmoothieBoard, and then the sky’s the limit. I’ve recently seen a thread on LightBurn forum where someone used LightBurn to drive their CrossFire with Mach3 board. That’s pretty interesting, but driving a SmoothieBoard is even more interesting. Alternatives include LinuxCNC variants like MachineKit (which is what I use to run my previous CNC router).