Will a plasma cutter cut titanium?

Was wondering if a plasma would cut titanium. be cool to make bottle openers from a chunch i have. If i could figure out how to slice it up.

Yes it will cut it…

That would be some expensive bottle opener lol

I have nothing in it. I mentioned to a friend once i was looking for a chunk of aluminum. He said he had one. I ended up with a peice roughly 6x6x4. Pretty obvious it wasnt what he thought. did some tests on it. sparks file compare… I cant cut it or drill it but I know it can be done. So they would be cheap to make if i got it sliced up.

You will need one crazy plasma cutter for 4" thick titanium. I have a Miller 625X Plasma it will sever 7/8" mild steel, Stainless steel is a lot harder and almost cuts that value in half, titanium would most likely be drastically less i am guessing around 1/4".

Is your mystery piece shiny? Titanium is usually a dull dark grey.

If you weigh the piece on an electric scale, I could tell you what it is by calculating its density.

Im meaning cut it into like 1/8 inch slabs ( with a band saw maybe? ) to cut out things from. the measurements are the actuall peice i have. And it is a dull grey , white sparks off it with a grinder. Had it for years thought it was good for more than a paper weight. Havnt weighed it , but i can at work.

Oh damn I didn’t realize it was 4" thick I couldn’t even cut it at work with my hypertherm 4100 machine torch. Water jet would be the best cut a band saw wouldn’t get through it with 5 new blades

I’d oxy / propane cut anything over 1 1/2"…or if you have a waterjet $$$ that would work to :smile: https://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/blog/2017/march/can-titanium-be-cut-with-an-oxy-fuel-torch.aspx

I scratched that idea. makes a better paper weight