Which Software for Crossfire is your favorite?

Software for Crossfire

I don’t have a Crossfire or Pro table yet. But since there are a lot of software you can use just curious what is your favorite and why? Is it easy to learn or what?

When I was doing a lot of computer programming C++ I learned the most important thing when writing code is to keep it as simple as possible. So here goes but I know almost nothing… yet.

1. CAD (computer aided design) Draw it out.
  2. CAM (computer aided machining) ?
  3. CNC (computer numerical control)

1. CAD - outputs SVG or DXF files.
  2. CAM - takes (inputs) the SVG or DXF files, then outputs the G-Code.
  3. FireControl - takes (inputs) G-Code, post-processes the G-Code so it will work with the FireControl.

CAM tells the machine how to move the torch around to cut your design out.

Now if I have made any errors fix them. And tell me which programs I should learn. And tell me if it is CAD, CAM, or CNC. Or something else.

My favorites for creating the drawing
1st. Inkscape (lots of good videos to explain anything you wan to learn. Not as friendly for mechanical design but can create very accurate 2d drawings with this program. It can ingest just about any image file type you throw at it and it can export many many different file types. It is free! )
2nd. For highly technical or items I intend to bend I use fusion. (super precise, steep learning curve, free kind of…) A lot of the artsy files available overload fusion on my computer. It Also handles the Cam Aspect is handled by fusion as well. In my opinion fusion is clunky when it comes to geometry and how it deals with issues such as not fitting a cut within a design. And it I have problems getting it to work easily with single line geometry…something that crops up a LOT on art work.

I prefer SVG files. They seem more refined to me vs. DXF. Unfortunately the free version of Fusion only really exports dxf if you want to use its designs any place other than Fusion.

As far as non fusion cam option the one I use is sheetcam…it does cost $149 I believe and I tried everything possible before going ahead and buying it…I really wish I had bought it to begin with. It is super intuitive and just works.

3 Likes

Going in reverse.

CNC: Is the combination of Langmuir’s software (Fire Control) that reads G-Code and sends info to the controller box (the curcuitry) that sends signals to the table servo-motors that move your plasma cutter to cut your design from your metal.

CAM: Langmuir offers only two options for writing G-Code. You need to download and add on Langmuir’s post processor. One is add on is for Sheetcam, the other is add on is for Fusion 360. These apps write G-Code that Firecontrol software reads. G-Code is the programming language that Fire Control reads, sends through the controller so the table will cut your design.

CAD: Fusion 360 has a free Hobbyist version (must be renewed annually) that is both CAD and CAM. It is more intended for what you might call engineered or dimensional parts as opposed to artwork.

Continuing with the CAD… You may use any program you wish that can create your design provided it will save as either a DXF or SVG (scalable vector graphic) file. Then you can use either Sheetcam or Fusion 360’s CAM to create the G-Code of your design.

Fusion 360 is an all-in-one CAD/CAM.
If you use anything else to create your design (artwork) it seems from what I read on this forum, Sheetcam is the way to go. Inkscape is often discussed as an artwork program which can save as SVG.

Hope this helps (is accurate)

3 Likes

Yeah that was very helpful, both of you guys. And you made it really easy to understand too. I can figure this out now thanks.

2 Likes

famous last words…

not to worry we will stil be here to help…

4 Likes