Which Plasma to use?

Hello,
Newbie to the world of cnc table plasma but not plasma cutting itself.
I have 2 plasma cutters here at the shop and curious what others think will be the best one:

1. my die hard machine Hypertherm Powermax 1250 which has the remote plug already
    or
  2. the pretty much new Miller Spectrum 875 Auto-line which i could easily add the remote plug
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Looking at the list of Plasma Cutter compatibility with the Langmuir tables:
https://www.langmuirsystems.com/plasma-cutters

The Hypertherm Powermax 1250 is compatible but listed on the ‘discontinued’ models. I would say if you like it best and can still get good quality consumables, it would work.

The Miller Spectrum 875 is listed as compatible and still considered a model that Miller supports. That might be the one.

Which one do you like best? Which one gives the best results? Those are questions for you to answer.

2 Likes

Thanks
I have updated the Hypertherm with the Duramax HRT hand torch so consumables aren’t a real issue.
I’ve hardly used the Miller, its usually in my welding truck for quick help on jobs.
Most of the stuff I usually use for metasl is 1/4" and up, hence why i use the Hypertherm but figured the Miller may be better and more precise for thinner metals that i could use on the table.
Guess I will add that to the learning curve…
Thanks again
Bruce

1 Like

I picked up a Hypertherm 1650 this spring and the Duramax machine torch. Also have the legacy hand torch. No complaints now that I have it dialed in, other than I burned my water pan and leaks is an understatement.

I gotta say, personal use, and what I have seen and read here, Hypertherm is the way to go, regardless of what generation.

5 Likes

We only recommend using the CrossFire with plasma cutters that are listed on our Plasma Cutters Compatible With The CrossFire (Plasma Cutter | Langmuir Systems)
chart. That being said, it is possible that your plasma cutter could be compatible even if it is not listed. The only hard requirement is that your plasma cutter must not
use a High Frequency start mechanism in order to initiate the plasma arc. High Frequency plasma cutters are strictly forbidden for use on the CrossFire machine because the
High Frequency arc can cause permanent damage to the machine’s electronics components. If you are not sure which start mechanism your plasma cutter uses, you can either
consult your user manual or contact the manufacturer.

2 Likes