Which plasma cutter to buy

Update: The fine cut nozzle(#220331) is no longer available. After market nozzles & electrodes are available.

Original post: So my sad story is Hypertherm no longer makes consumables for my powermax 380. So, I’m looking for a new plasma cutter. I mostly cut less than ¼" but I would like to be able to cut ½" if the need arises. Who makes the best plasma cutter for my Crossfire 2 x 2?
p.s. I will not buy another Hypertherm, they have left me high & dry.

I would include @mechanic416 in this discussion. He may know where you can get the right consumables.

2 Likes

Thank you. That would save me a bunch of money.

If you don’t mind me asking how did they leave you high and dry?

1 Like

That’s the feeling I have. It seems my powermax380 is discontinued and consumables are no longer available/very scarce. According to Hypertherm there is no replacement torch or option to continue with this machine. As I see it, I have to buy a whole new plasama cutter. That doesn’t make me feel good.

Understood not a great feeling… is there not a retrofit for the Duramax?

" Powermax 380 (DISCONTINUED): Upgrade Guide & Replacements

Hypertherm last produced the Powermax380 27-amp plasma power supply system in 2007. Hypertherm’s technical service department no longer supports this model, and replacement torches and consumables are no longer being manufactured (effective January 2021)."

I checked and didn’t see a retrofit duramax torch available for that model.

3 Likes

I guess because of the amps the machine puts out . I seen the made that announcement 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear that. Same thing happens all too often with cell phones. I had a Samsung that I loved. Samsung “pushed” and update on a Friday. It bricked my phone.

I got ahold of the closest authorized service center that Sunday. Guy said I was the 3rd caller. He said unfortunately, Samsung took that phone off the “supported” list Friday and he could no longer access tech support software needed to fix it.
End Rant!

What is your budget, usage hours/metals/products, etc? That might help you get a good recommendation. There are people on here using at both ends of the price/machine quality spectrum.

Low end, I use Primeweld Cut60 as a hobby only user. Medium, seems Everlast (check Home Depot $$) gets good feedback here.

Which cutter to use is like getting on a truck website and asking what oil brand is best :grin:

1 Like

Shew for a second I thought you was going to say which brand truck to buy​:grimacing::grimacing:. That would be another can of worms.

1 Like

I didn’t say that because that answer should never be in question: Toyota! (said the retired Toyota guy who owns 2 Toyota trucks and a Camry :smiley:)

3 Likes

I have owned my share of them also… My current is a 05 with almost 300k

1 Like

Personally I think you’re being a little harsh on Hypertherm. The 380 was discontinued in 2007 and they supported it with consumables until 2021, that’s fourteen years of supporting a discontinued product. In today’s market that’s pretty spectacular.

5 Likes

You youngster clock time different than us oldsters. As far as we are concerned, 10 years ago WAS last year. :rofl:

3 Likes

have you seen this? Hypertherm Powermax 380 torch replacement

He buy passed the safety and it does not have High Frequency as he stated.

1 Like

he who? @sCary ?

The guy in the video! Sorry I did not make that clear.

ah - explain that to me, please. I was about to order that torch for my 380.

If I remember right the 380 was a 14 to 27 amp plasma cutter. That torch is a 45 amp unit. So other then using a 45 amp cutting tip that is way to large for a 27 amp output unit. You would have to use the 30 amp fine cut consumables all the time.

A better torch would be the PT/IPT40 torch then you could use the 20 and 30 amp consumables.

Even a Trafimet S45 would work with 20 and 30 amp consumables.

And you should never bypass the cup safety.

But that would be your call on that.

2 Likes