Which cut properties override the others?

so when making a cutting profile/program, there seem to be six (or more) areas that input the specs for the torch speed/cut width/etc…
if you’re in the “Tool Library” there’s the inputs there
if you’re in the “Machine” library, there’s inputs there
if you’re in the “Setup” tab, it’s there under “machine”
if your proceeding on in the process, it’s there again under “NC Program”
if your proceeding on again, it’s in the “2d profile”
aaaand again in the “Post Process”

so my questions are: which part of the program should i enter “Zero’s” for the numbers because they are input in other areas? what part of the program actually inputs the numbers that the machine pays attention to, and what parts are overridden by others?

Fusion 360 is a program that at first i hated, in part just because of issues like this. I’ve grown to like it over the other options, and from the help that I’ve received in this forum, i’m starting to really understand it. thank you to all that answer my questions. it seems if they could streamline this process it could make the CAM part of the program much smoother to use and when making small adjustments to improve quality, you could more easily track where those changes were made at.

Inputs in 2D profile (cut speeds) will override all the others for speeds. (It will popup “custom”) I personally don’t use a machine setup so I can’t speak there. Tool Library will set the kerf. Cut / Pierce heights and Pierce Delay will only be set from the Post Process window, regardless of what has been previously configured in the Tool or elsewhere.

2 Likes

so question: when you switch from CAD to the CAM side of things, do you skip the “Setup” and “NC” program tabs and go straight to the “2D” tab?

the training video’s are all over the place as to where to start off at.

I’ll always start with setup. Define my stock as no additional size, then select my origin point. Occasionally, I’ll need to redefine my X/Y axis to fit the part to the material or table size. (OG Crossfire XL) Once that’s done, I’ll go straight to 2D Cutting. Depending on the part / requirements, it may be a single toolpath or it might be 5 / 6. Then post and cut.

2 Likes

thank you, I’ll go try it out now.

try these two short videos

2 Likes

that’s exactly what i needed.

thank you to all. i just tried cutting my same brackets again, the sides are now nice and square (1/4" steel) and the holes (about 8.7mm) are almost perfect round.

was very wise of Langmuir to make the “Forum”… without everyone’s help to get over those roadblocks here and there i think i would have been pretty frustrated by now. where i live in the country there are no local colleges to take any kind of training for what i’m trying to accomplish.

2 Likes