Where to get good DXF and SVG files?

I have the crossfire pro and I am using fusion 360. I have been buying my files from etsy and other places and when I insert them in fusion 360 sometimes they have multiple lines. It takes me a long time to get them ready for CAM . Where do you all get your files? Example: Tasmanian devil ,name signs and scenery cutouts

1 Like

join plasmaspider website forum…it is $20 a year and you get access to all kinds of drawings…infact a huge amount of them.
and they are already set for plasma cutting

1 Like

What toolboy said…

Most of the stuff on Etsy is junk. Have to edit and sometimes redraw completely. I draw most of my stuff in CAD after running a picture through Inkscape and saving as a dxf. Only thing that sucks is CAD likes to breakdown text and SVG as b-spline curves that CNC doesn’t work well with. If you want fast and easy go plasmaspider like toolboy said…

1 Like

Or save as an SVG and use that in Sheetcam for your toolpaths. Much better file format than DXF (as in modern - not 40 years old :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Well the copy of the CAD program I like to use is off a disk from 1995…

2 Likes

never knew svg’s were better! thanks

DXF doesn’t “understand” curves as curves. They’re simulations created by using many very short line segments. SVG support bezier curves where the math is more complex but results in curves that are truly curves. So you’ll get far fewer nodes, less likely to have unconnected line segments and a far cleaner file. Computers (especially personal ones) made huge leaps in capabilities in the 20 years between the two file formats invention. Today’s DXF file can generally be expected to work (albeit extremely slowly) on a PC-XT if you have one hanging around the basement :slight_smile:

1 Like

DXF doesn’t “understand” curves as curves. They’re simulations created by using many very short line segments. SVG support bezier curves where the math is more complex but results in curves that are truly curves. So you’ll get far fewer nodes, less likely to have unconnected line segments and a far cleaner file. Computers (especially personal ones) made huge leaps in capabilities in the 20 years between the two file formats invention. Today’s DXF file can generally be expected to work on a PC-XT if you have one hanging around the basement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your help everyone. I really appreciate it.

For the most part I have been able to take screen shot with my laptop and convert it to SVG on Convertigo. Once in awhile I have to clean things up in sheet cam or connect letters. But it usually works just fine.

2 Likes