What the Kerf ? ! # $ * Hypertherm smartSYNC

We made the mistake of running the sync 45 amp fine cut consumables on our Powermax 65 machine using cut charts based on the early consumables. We were getting .06 kerf. running .06 cut height and 150 ipm. The Hypertherm technician stated we likely shortened the life of that cartridge. Raising the cut parameters to the .14 pierce and cut height and 350 ipm we get a decent cut but the kerf is still .06 and we are blowing out a pretty large angle on one edge. Ordering some new fine cut cartridges, ouch on the cartridge cost $$. Hypertherm claims the higher torch cut height extends the consumable life. Hypertherm technician also mentioned the cut charts are based on open dry cutting not using a water table so some fine tuning may be necessary due to the cooling effects of the water table- they recommend 1" gap water height to bottom of the sheet.

1 Like

Tempted to un-crimp one of these sync cartridges open and get to the meat. I would suspect 1 or 2 internals wear but they force you to buy it all in one unit with a fresh sync board. Anyone jail breaking this yet… K

Let’s see, the cartridge has a memory chip in there that has a unique serial number, data on the type of cartridge it is, etc, and a record on how many and how much time it’s been fired. What else do you want to know?

Somewhere, on this forum, I saw a link to a Hypertherm document describing what’s in it. You’d have to search for it. I’ll bet it was a @TinWhisperer post providing the link…

1 Like

Interesting to know if there may be any std consumables in there likely not. I guess if the tip could be swapped out it would be nice.

You can not change parts on the cartridges.

Yea not yet, its all parts & pieces These sync cartridge crimps can be can severed. and alt retention applied. any internals machined in high production on cnc machining centers just as they are doing

Any chance you’ve finalized your notes on the kerf you’re realizing?
I’m running an 85SYNC with the REVB Finecut Cartridges at 45A, 220ipm book speed, reading a kerf size of 0.032" on 14GA HR.
I also haven’t been able to find a revised cut chart for the REVB Finecut Cartridges, but I could always call Hypertherm.

I still am working through a box REVA SYNC finecuts.

I could not reproduce the kerf widths from the adaptor charts.

I was told the test machine was a downdraft dry table which produces finer kerfs then those made on a water table. weather this is true or not , I don t know.

I found that they cut similar to regular duratorch finecuts about 040" =/- on 14ga

@KHill91 welcome to the forum.

2 Likes