What program can I import a drawing…

Hey, I’m not sure how to explain my question🤷‍♂️
I thought I seen a video and saved it. (but apparently I didn’t save it!)
that showed how to import a drawing, I think it was a cardboard drawing, then change the opacity measure a couple spots on it and it would basically make the drawing for you?!!
I have googled but come up with nothing. Does anyone know what program it would have been or is familiar with the video? Thanks joe

Your description reminded me of this video I watched some time ago.

Wow thank you! You’re a wealth of info! :+1:

1 Like

Inkscape will also trace an image using the trace bitmap tool. It basically scans the image and creates a path. Tracing using bitmap is the quick and dirty way. It does a pretty good job with a simple image but you will need to spend some time cleaning up nodes of some of the more complex images. There are some settings you can use that will give you a more cuttable path but I am still learning how to use them. You can also use the bezier tool to manually trace(similar to the process shown in the video above using fusion 360) it takes more time but you get a cleaner more exact and cuttable image.

My day job I am a structural engineer so the CAD based programs like Fusion 360 come a little more natural to me but I have found that Inkscape works really well for the more artsy stuff.

There are some good tutorials out there on using inkscape. Its best to find the ones that are geared more toward CNC but they can all teach you how to use the program.

If its a part or a tool you are making that needs to meet precise specifications then fusion 360 or something cad based is your best bet. If its metal art of some kind then Inkscape or something similar seems to have worked best for me. I am pretty new to this… don’t even have my table yet so you probably wan to consider the source. I have produced several designs in both Fusion 360 and Inkscape while I have been waiting.

I guess we will see how well I have learned… my guess I will have allot more questions than answers once my table shows up. :wink:

1 Like

Oh yeah! …I seriously like Inkscape :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

thanks so much for the info! i tried to draw a chevy bowtie with chevrolet inside of it today! i’m going to use inkscape from now on for the art stuff.
i cut my first art piece today. It has some flaws but its all a learning process.
(ill post the details in another post and ask what happened and how to fix it.)
thanks joe

1 Like

Hey 72Pony, Jerry Harrell here, I’m a structural steel detailer and I use Tekla Structures for modeling our projects. It will output DXF and NC1 files and I was wondering if you have had any experience with this program. My XR is order number 33190 on October 1, 2021, don’t know what batch I’m in but expect it be a while. Good luck with your build.

Hey Jerry.

I don’t have any experience with that particular program. We use REVIT for all of our structural and architectural drawings.

We don’t produce any erection or shop drawings in our office.

A lot of engineers use Revit and Tekla Structures can import a Revit model and then convert it to its own members. We do this on some projects and our program will create NC1 files for all the parts that then can be sent to CNC beamlines and plate processors. It has come a long way from the days when all we had were pen and paper.