What are Laptop Specs?

It may have been my computers, not sure yet.

The one I download to win10 32 bit home it has the same problem. Is everybody downloading win. 7 64 bit ?

What version is being down load?

Okay, ordered a copy of W7, then was worried after finding out it had to be 64bit.
It came in and I was relieved it was W7 Pro 64 bit!!
Just installed on one of my XP machines and just 5 min. Ago I switched it from in to mm and back to in :grinning:
So lucked out and only have a couple dollars in it, instead of another new computer

2 Likes

Ive had an old laptop sitting around for a while, figured I would use it for firecontrol. Then found out firecontrol needed 4gb of RAM and it only had 3gb. I ended up upgrading to 4gb off Amazon for under $10! Its great when we can save an old computer for cheap

I’m waiting on my #2 box, please help me figure this out correctly. I currently have a laptop running windows 10, plenty of ram that I use fusion and sheetcam on. From what I’ve read I need a windows 7+ operating laptop? Will the whole thing not run on one laptop? Or do I have to design and transfer everything over to a second laptop running windows 7+ say via jump drive? I’m just trying to get this right the first time without wasting money having to find a outdated laptop that has windows 7 on it or can I install it on my windows 10 laptop? I’m not one of these younger generation tech wizards.

you can run windows 7 and newer. most run a seperate computer just for the machine. dedicated so no interuptions while cutting

@punksab2000 I apologize if our FireControl specs are confusing. Windows 7+ means that you can run anything from Windows 7 and newer (such as Windows 10).

1 Like

Will Fire Control run on 32 bit and 64 bit win7 and win10. Does it need to the pro or home versions?

At this time it is 64 bit w7 or w10 only (do not get w10 S…a lot of people are not being let to revert it back to regular w10)

The only reason you would need two computers is to have a beater computer for in the shop for cutting. This is a nasty dirty business and I wouldn’t want a high dollar computer in the shop. Plus I don’t know that you would want to do your design work in the shop, I prefer the comfort of my house. Then if you only have one computer you are carrying it back and forth.

2 Likes

Most every computer you buy, at a reasonable cost, will include Windows 10 S mode.

windows S mode just means windows releases liability of their software if you want to ACTUALLY use the computer for anything besides facebook and emails.

dont be scared, opt out of that shit. S MODE is a joke. you cant even use Pandora desktop client in S Mode.

For Windows - the only thing I’d recommend is Win 10 64bit (x64). Either the Pro or Home version will be fine for this usage. Pro gets you some features if you’ll connect to a corporate domain for security tokens - otherwise you’re just spending money on some features you won’t use. Home will work fine for standalone PCs and probably 99% of folks. There are actually some good reasons not to connect a dedicated cutting PC to a domain even if you have the pro version. What ever version you run, go with x64 version - 32 bit is getting phased out slowly. It also lets you add more RAM > 4GB. Most PC’s these days run 8gb ram at minimum and I wouldn’t run less than that in any machine.

I thought the ‘S’ version was for Europe and was a stripped version to meet their regulatory scheme. I’ve never seen it in US, but then again, I’ve never looked for it, so I guess maybe they sell it here? I’ll have to read up on that, but yeah - I’d avoid it. Home and Pro are really the only options for users outside large corps ie…‘Enterprise’ licencing.

Edit: Looked it up - S mode is a lock down feature for cheap machines that only allows you to run Store apps - its mainly to compete with Chromebooks in schools and the like. Yeah…I’d avoid it - you won’t be able to run Firecontrol. I was thinking of the ‘N’ version - which is the stripped Win10 version for overseas. Not confusing at all…lol…

I don’t see much Win7 usage anymore, but there was (may still be) a free upgrade route to Win10.

For MAC - they are all x64 if they are in last 5 or so years. I think they already dropped x32 OS in anything going forward a while back.

Linux - theoretically, Firecontrol could run on Linux. Firecontrol is java jvm based so with a few tweaks it would run fine…I’d guess they already have a version running in Linux already for giggles. If you don’t know what Linux is, then don’t worry about it. As much as I love playing around with Linux, I won’t be running it for this even if LS supported it.

If you are a running design software on a separate machine, like I am, I’d also add a decent video card to the machine you are doing that work on or make sure you’ve got a recent integrated Intel video driver (I think they are branded as “Iris” video) - this works well in laptops. AMD has something similar. It helps when you are using Fusion360 or other CAD software to have good video rendering. Older PCs will tend to struggle in this area unless they’ve been upgraded.

sorry long post…not really about laptop specs, but hopefully useful.

I guess that rules out a 32 bit Vista laptop for Firecontrol;-(
That’s what’s running my Torchmate machine.

Mainstream support for Vista ended on April 10, 2012. As of February 2020, Vista’s market share has declined to 0.3% of Windows’ total market share…from Wikipedia. Vista is about 15 yrs old. Might be time to upgrade. I guess we found the .3%.:grinning:

2 Likes

And don’t steal others’ work by downloading their pictures from websites. I used to embed a harmless virus in all my photos so that if someone worked through the roadblocks to save it and copy my work, they’d get a nasty message about IP theft and getting a virus. I even warned them by posting it in the user agreement of my website. This was well before ransomware, I could’ve been rich I tell ya!

Would anyone recommend the Dell Precision M6800 laptop? I can get a refurbished one for a decent price that has an i7 quad core, 16gb RAM, dedicated graphics card, 2TB HDD, and lots of USB drives and multiple video ports (if I add a touch monitor later). Thanks for the input!

1 Like

That laptop line (precision) is designed for 3d cad/cam. A bit of overkill for running firecontrol only, but can do pretty much anything you need to it just fine. Those are beefy workstation like laptops designed for engineers (targeted at the high-end user and $$$ when new)…

Thanks for the info!! I was going to use it for Firecontrol, sheetcam, my cad program (probably Draftsight), maybe a 3d modeling program like Solidworks, and inkscape

jimt
CrossFire PRO

37m

About this product

Product Identifiers
Brand ASUS
Ean 0192876313602
GTIN 0192876313602
UPC 0192876313602
Model ASUS VivoBook
eBay Product ID (ePID) 17033160171

Product Key Features
Release Year 2019
Custom Bundle No
Screen Size 15.6 in
Type Notebook/Laptop
Connectivity USB-C, USB 2.0, HDMI, USB 3.1, USB 3.0
Storage Type SSD (Solid State Drive)
Processor AMD A12
Operating System Windows 10
RAM Size 4 GB
Hard Drive Capacity 128 GB
Processor Speed 2.70 GHz

Additional Product Features
SSD Capacity 128GB this be ok for firecontrol?