Weird Cutting Issue (SOLVED)

Hey y’all! So I’ve recently ran into a problem and I have tried every variable I can think of with no positive results. I searched the forum for hours but I havnt seen anyone with this same issue.

So I’m attempting to cut out a symmetrical piece of metal that I intend to turn into hardware for a project. There are 2 sharp corners on this particular piece and for some reason it keeps cutting one corner short.

You can see in the remaining metal that one side is perfectly sharp and the other starts some sort of weird line as it rounds that corner. This is causing one corner to be slightly smaller than the other (roughly a 16th off).

I have double and triple checked the file and the measurements are definitely good. I’ve tried cutting it with “sharp corners” checked and unchecked in Fusion 360. There are no broken lines in the file and my tool path is continuous and solid, so I’m kind of at a loss here. I built the file in Illustrator, generated the GCODE with Fusion, and I’m cutting on a Crossfire Pro.

It’s almost like it’s cutting the inside line on that one inside corner then cutting outside on all the rest of the lines but the tool path is solid as far as I know so I’m at a loss. Could it just be an issue with Fusion? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Can you post your f3d file from Fusion. I should be able to look through the manufacturing information if it’s saved right up to the point where you made the G-Code.

1 Like

Thanks so much for taking a look at it. This is the GCODE. If you need anything else just let me know. Im new to all these programs so Im not sure exactly what to look at. Thank so much for your help.

FrontTopFinal.nc (577 Bytes)

follow these instruction and post a f3d of the fusion used to the create the code please. I will take a peak of the NC file in the mean time.

Looks sharp in a NC viewer.

Are you using the “keep corners sharp” option in Fusion ?

but this it not the only code you used to cut those parts pictured above. I see the other parts have different lead in points then the NC file you provided.

2 Likes

Ah! I sent the top bracket instead of the bottom. So this is the actual NC file for that part. So sorry about that.
FrontBottom.nc (607 Bytes)

I spent a lot of time making sure each measurement was perfect on this one. Ive tried both with keep rounded corner and without keep rounded corners and it cuts the same. I was wondering if maybe I might just do 2 tool paths instead of one to see if it still does it.

I went back into the drawing and made everything on that side 1/16th larger and it still came out the same. Do I just need to switch to Sheetcam? My gut is telling me this is a Fusion issue.

It would be a couple hours I could. you couldpost your dad and your cut settings maybe someone can can it out for you to try. That is if you don’t have a license for sheet cam

Looks like you need to fine tune your torch settings, some of the cuts look jagged and crooked. Check couplers for slippage.

You may want to check your Z axis carriage for play. The cuts look jagged and odd in the areas where there is a sudden change of direction. You may also want to look at feed optimization, to slow down a bit for those sudden changes of direction in sharp corners.

He has to post his Dad? Im sorry I could not help myself! :rofl:

Dang autocorrect sent that as I was going out the door​:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. I don’t see how it got dad from dxf .

1 Like

Try ‘dxd’ and see what you get…

Dxf with fat fingers equal dxd👍

Do not ever ever walk out a door while texting!!!
My god man are you crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I checked the z-axis and it definitely has a little bit of play in it, but I cant seem to find any set screws. Is there a way to adjust the z-axis so that it rides the gantry a little tighter?

I’ve attached a couple pictures. There’s about about an 1/8th inch of vertical travel on the x axis when I lift it, but I can’t figure out how to tighten it. I tried to show all the way down and then all the way up in the photos. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Loosen the bolt and nut that holds the bearings that ride on the X rail and there is a set screw in the edges where the blue arrows are pointing. The set screws move the bearings in and out to adjust the tilt of the carriage and remove any play. Adjust them and then re-tighten the nuts and bolts that hold the bearings. You may have to do this a few times, because the bearings will move slightly when you tighten them.

1 Like

You need to remove the standoff from the retaining cup, that is for hand cutting only.

3 Likes