Viper30 to 3prong Dryer outlet - Electrical / 220v newbie

Hello all,

My wife and I have been running our Viper30 off a 110 and it keeps tripping the breaker at the minimum 20 amp. I can work around it by cutting in ~20 second bursts but that is obviously not ideal. It was recommended to us that we use our unused 3-prong, 220v dryer plug for the plasma cutter instead.

We probably need a distance of 10-15 feet to reach the cutter from the dryer plug. From what I can tell I would need an extension cord plus an adapter (option A). But having the plasma cutter line, then extension cord, then adapter seems unsafe to me.

Alternatively I could get a welding extension cord and swap out the male end for a 3-prong dryer cord so there isn’t an adapter (option B). However, I have never spliced a plug like that before and am concerned about the level of damage I could do to the house if I do it improperly.

I also don’t know how the cord ratings work and how to ensure that every “link on the chain” is pulling its weight so we are not at risk of fire.

Does anyone have a similar situation that they’ve solved?
What are some good resources I can use to learn how all of the pieces of this residential electrical wiring puzzle fit together?

Thank you for your time,
Andrew

A dryer plug contains 120v neutral 120v and ground. This allows the dryer to access 240v across both 120v legs for the heating element and motor. It uses 120v to neutral for the timer controls (old style dryer). Most newer dryers use 240v for everything, and a switching power supply for the timers.

For any welding equipment i highly suggest wiring its own proper receptical.

I went to Lowes got 30 feet of wire, male 220 plug and a female. Made an extension cord. put in a 30 amp breaker. Never had an issue. But im not an electrician and you will hear over and over no extension cords. Im not sure what adapter your talking about. I just got the male to fit the existing 220 plug and one to fit the plasma cutter.

1 Like

I did the same so I can run the unit by the garage door - open it if it’s nice and closed if it’s cold out. Got a run of 8ga wire and put a receptacle on one end and a plug on the other. It plugs into the 220 outlet that’s wired into the garage for a welder.

Im running a adapter from my dryer outlet with 25ft extension cord. I use it to run my welder and also my vipercut 30 havent had anny issues.

does it matter if you use a 2 pole or 1 pole 30 amp breaker? My brother installed a 2 pole 30 amp breaker and was concerned after noticing my vipercut 30i is DUAL VOLTAGE 110V ~ 230. He was unsure if the new setup would fry my plasma cutter. please advise

It will run on 120 or 240 volts what ever its plugged into.

If I decide to run 120V, will the plasma cutter perform the same cutting power compared to 220V?

No it will not. It will only put out 16 amps on 120 volts.