Vertical band saw project

Modeled after Stefan Gotteswinters, I decided to make a shot at it.

I however do not feel like spending the coin on the 1/2 hardened and precision ground plate for the fence and table.

I picked up an old 2001 vintage Harbor Freight 4x6" bandsaw on CL, and went after it.

Built a square tube frame out of 2x2x14ga, 16" x 18" at 42" high for the table. Short people are going to start cussing me if they need to use my stuff.

Added a plate to mount the saw that puts the table at 44" (oops - this is what happens when you wing it) but it is still a very comfortable height for me.

I picked up a couple of 18" 20mm linear rails for the table and then cut the table out of some .250 plate. I may re-do it out of 3/8, we’ll see.

Ran into some design flaws with mounting the table to the base, but that is the fun of prototypes. Keep tweaking what you have until it fits and is serviceable.

I need to split some 3" x 7" dia round bar for a project at work, so I had to do a quick c-clamp the table on the frame and get to cutting. I knew the capacitor was on it’s last leg, and should have done something sooner but let the smoke genie out a quarter way through it. 2hp motor ordered for $169 and will double what I had.

I still need to build the fence, and buy a quick action clamp to butcher for the table. I am also going to incorporate an air cylinder to actuate the table to pull anything clamped down into the blade.

Pics to come.

4 Likes