USB keeps connecting/ disconnecting

I assembled my machine today. I connected my newer windows 10 machine via usb and it connects, but then starts semi rapidly disconnecting/ connecting making that annoying windows chime. I tried removing the driver and adding again with no change. this computer was used to run my gen 1 crossfire and had no issues. Any ideas?

Are you using the USB cable provided with the machine?

Yes, the Tripp-lite one

With the ferrite choke they sent out?

I’m having the same issue.

Just assembled my machine over the weekend and one thing I noticed is the USB connection bouncing. It’s pretty rapid and fire control doesn’t even notice the drop out.

The only way I know is my windows machine makes the disconnect / reconnect alert sound.

I’m using the RF Choke as designed and the USB cable that came with the kit.

I think there’s a log file, so I’ll try and grab that the next time I’m plugged into the controller.

USB Update.

Plug into the machine to begin some test cuts and the USB connection was solid. Not sure why it was bouncing initially. Might have been something simple, like I didn’t have the cable plugged in all the way . I’ll keep my eye on it, but for now the problem has gone away.

1 Like

Is your laptop new or something that’s been kicking around for a while? It is possible that an old, unused, USB port contacts were dirty and needed multiple insertions to clean them off. This, of course, is pure speculation, but I have seen it happen.

1 Like

That’s possible. It’s not brand new and I don’t plug in a lot of USB devices, so perhaps it was a dirty contact.

Whatever it was it seems like it’s gone at this point.

The machine is great. Having a lot of fun spinning it up.

I solved the problem, it appears the cable was damaged around strain relief on the computer side. Swapped it for a known good cable and The machine runs like a dream!

3 Likes

If you’re having this issue, check and see if your usb housing is contacting the enclosure or has continuity with the enclosure in any way. I had this issue often and ended up extending the standoffs behind the control board to better center the usb housing in the enclosure.

4 Likes