Unplanned chemistry experiment

I came into work this morning and found this. This is absolutely new for me. Happened after I cut aluminum.

Are you thinking it is a growth process? Or did the aluminum flakes just congeal with a bit of the plasma green substance?

Leave it for another day. You will know if it is a growing substance. You may be rich!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I am sorry, Sticks. The plasma green has to be mixed with water. I do believe the water has been gone for a while. It’s a science experiment.
You know I am just kidding, Right? It’s time to get the paint scraper and a small shovel. I do like your slats.
I wish Langmuir would sell them like that.

If you look at the second pic, you can see the goo is out gassing. Bubbles. Don’t know if it’s chemical or biological.

Add water? Crap, that would make this sooo much cheaper. :rofl:

I am trying the @TinWhisperer method of protecting the bottom by leaving a layer of sludge so my 100a does not blow a hole in the bottom.

Slat profile is on FireShare. 1/2 sheet of 14ga(?). Need to tweak some settings next run, they are a bit too close together and welded the drop back onto the teeth.

They are nice and suck at the same time. Sharp pointy things and using hands to place not light sheets on there. Ouch.

3 Likes

Hydrogen gas is being released with the aluminum reacting to the water. Aluminum hydroxide is formed and H2 is released. I have read that with the open systems and relatively low production of metal products, we are not likely to have an explosive situation.

But with you doing this in your motorhome, who knows?! :rofl::sunglasses: … Trailer, I meant​:wink:

3 Likes

Soon to be convertible top! :rofl:

2 Likes

Usually when I see yellow bits forming, my head immediately goes into thinking it’s zinc oxide, which there is some level of zinc in most extruded aluminum alloys.