Trouble with Y-axis connection on Crossfire XL

Hello fellow community members. I have put together my crossfire table last Friday and was hoping to end the night off with jogging the axis successfully. I connected both stepper motors to the box to prepare it for the first jog ever using the firecontrol. Once power was turned on I could hear some buzzing noise coming from the motor. Before I could record the noise there was smoke coming out of the connector of the Y1 motor. Looks like the stepper motor side and control box side suffered damage. This is a brand new unit with zero run time. The connector for Y1 did not fit as snug as the connector for the X axis so I probably should have seen that red flag before turning the power on. I have been in contact with support but am at a standstill with them. Do any members know the model number of the connectors I can buy off of amazon to get my unit up and running? Hoping to replace the male and female connector with some quality ones to get this operational asap.

Contact Langmuir by email. They’ll get you sorted.

1 Like

Yeah just DSUB connectors or “serial” or something. I searched for DSUB extensions and got what I needed.

THAT is some serious messup! However, it’s not as big as the messup of not including @langmuirsystems in this post!!! You want this fixed? They WILL fix it, but only if they know about it.

1 Like

Hey Fernando. Just put my XL together this weekend and I had a similar issue. Looks like the screws on the Male DB9 cables are a little too long so they bottom out before they tighten the male into the female. I did a bit of a MacGyver and put some washers on the backside of the screw assembly to take up the slack and that worked for me but I was going to send a note to LS and let them know.

1 Like

Thanks Bobdobqb. I wish I caught that when I was putting my connection in. Would be saving me this current headache. I’ve now ordered the connectors off amazon and going to solder them in this week.

I don’t know Tom. I’ve been emailing the Langmuir email back and forth yesterday. When I asked for the model number/description of the connector so that I could order it myself they stopped replying to me.

What happened, to cause the burnt/short? Not pushed on enough and it arc’d .

Why would too long of screws done this? They only keep it from falling out :thinking:

You may have something else wrong

Gee, why did they do that? Hmmmm, maybe they thought you weren’t interested in having them help you and you were just gonna do it yourself.

So, let me just say, LS drops the ball every once in a while, but if you ask the folks here on the forum, overall they provide superior support IF you work with them. And, even if you’re not entirely pleased with their service, telling us and NOT including them in the message is sort of pointless, wouldn’t you say?

1 Like

Hey Tom, just to update everyone I got in contact with Langmuir an hour ago and they are going to ship me a leadscrew, and DSUB connector with motor. Which is awesome and I am happy about that. I am hoping that the controls are OK.

Yeah I noticed my connection was loose but it didn’t pull out far enough to cross pins so I was lucky there. :crossed_fingers:

Another satisfied customer…hopefully…?

With the screws being too long they bottomed out before they snugged up the connectors. Mine were able to move back about 1/8 on an inch and I lost connection but no arcing for me.

Alright I believe I’ve gotten to the bottom of this issue and I think EVERYONE should check this on theirs. Especially if you are loosing connection during a cut on one of your axis.

The electronics enclosure cutouts for the DSUB connectors need to be bigger to allow the connectors to seat fully together. Alternatively, the male side of the connector can be filed down to give the same effect. I also did trim the thumb screws this time. See attached pics.

1 Like

Will look at mine and see if that might be an issue as well. :+1:

I would just like to report that I did some cutting all weekend and there were no more surprises or mishaps. I am satisfied!

1 Like

Good to hear Fernando! :raised_hands:

Just had a similar mishap. One of the pins on my Y motor burned halfway off. After scouring forums all night, I see it’s cause the plugs aren’t sitting fully into the female end. Did Langmuir replace anything for you? How did you solve the plug seating issue?