Totally off the subject

This is a picture of a small houseboat bought by Dale Earnhardt Jr this morning. It’s on its way to NC.
I’m not sure why or what his plans are for it. But here it is. It is being loaded with our 40-ton travel lift.

5 Likes

Bass fishing, I’m sure. :rofl:

2 Likes

Hopefully it’s because houseboat racing’s becoming a thing and he made a track somewhere for doing just that.

3 Likes

Looks like it’s made for pretty shallow water.

1 Like

From what I gather, his dad had the same boat. Probably put in the pond in front of the estate :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Noodling, then:

3 Likes

I had that for dinner last night! :yum: :yum: :yum:

2 Likes

I did some of my “growing up” in Alaska with access to all kinds of good eats: moose, king crab, halibut, salmon, rainbow trout and grayling. Always thought halibut was just the best fish in the world until I tasted pan fried channel catfish in Oklahoma. Yum is right!!!

1 Like

Have you ever had blue gill? That and red eye are my favorite tasting fish.

1 Like

I believe so, but it would have been when I was around 5 or 6. That memory was erased by the fish we saw in Alaska. We lived in Kodiak area (18 months) and King Salmon (30 months). Lots of fish and easy to catch.

3 Likes

Shooting fish in a barrel :grin:

2 Likes

Jim, About 30 years ago, I took a trip to Clark Lake, Alaska, for a Dall sheep hunt. The climbing of the mountains almost killed me. I left with a genuine respect for that animal. You could shoot one; it might take 5 hrs to get it. I didn’t get one. It’s much more complicated than it looks. At the bottom of the mountains were these cabbage-type plants. I’m not going to say what the guide called them. As far as you could see, it was like walking in tires on a football practice field. The higher elevation looked like the surface of the moon.

2 Likes

I am not familiar with the “cabbage-type plant”. In Kodiak area (actually Woody Island) the land and vegetation was very similar to where I live now. In King Salmon, it was surrounded by tundra which was basically small depressions and humps of mounds of moss. Very tiring to walk in/on. In the depressions were often about a cup of water that made perfect breeding grounds for mosquitos. It was miserable to be outside in the summer unless there was a breeze: white sox, noseums (sp?) and mosquitos. They were all blood loving insects.

King Salmon is on the peninsula (inland from Bristol Bay) just before the Aleutian Islands start.

2 Likes