Torch suddenly stops firing

Just put a brand new electrode and brand new tip in my 30i torch and now it will not fire at all… Just started before I changed tips and electrodes I thought maybe they were going bad so I changed them out now I have nothing but air blowing… 25 orders to do before Christmas please help thank you

Not saying this is the cure for you… The story here may be something you can benefit from…

Today I finally got around to installing the XL kit on my Crossfire… During the install, it was easier to just move everything out of the way and go to town… After the job, I ran the break-in tap file for the fun of it and it ran fine… then, I figured I should try and cut a small file… NO GO!! NO FIRE… JUST AIR… What the??

At the end of about a half hour of cussing and frustration it was found to be a cold solder joint at the CNC port side of my cutter… My bad… Moving things must have been enough to cause a problem… Re-solder and cut the rest of the day just fine…

The moral of the story is… Sometimes just go back to the basics, check the easy stuff first, and you may just find something worth taking a closer look at…

I dunno. Hope this helps somehow…

Where exactly was this problem at can you be more specific?

It was the soldered connection inside the plug provided by Langmuir that I did the poor solder job… This is the plug at the rear of my Everlast plasma cutter for CNC control…

Are you trying to say it’s where you spliced into the wires at inside the plasma cutter? Not really understanding what you mean

No, on my machine there is a port on the back that I can plug the “firing control” cable from the crossfire electronics box into. I had to install the proper connector for the port on my machine onto this cable and ended up with a cold solder joint that eventually failed. This is what caused my little problem the other day… I’m not saying this is what you’ve got going on at all…

The point of my post was to illustrate my belief in troubleshooting in an order from easiest to fix to the harder and more complicated… Sometimes it’s best to go “back to the basics” first. That’s all…

2 Likes

I have checked everything that I can think of I have 30i. I had to splice my firing Cable in on the front inside case of the torch. Unfortunately it’s the only thing I haven’t checked yet. I have checked the ground, installed new electrode and tip. Cleaned slats on table, restarted computer and Mach 3 same issue… Strange thing about it is I was cutting multiple pieces all day with no issues all of a sudden it started…

Have you tried just manually pulling the trigger on the torch and see what happens? If it works your inner connection isnt good. Thats asuming its still not firing at all with the mach 3.

Yeah I tried that does the same thing just blows air

Vipercut 30i torch shorted out? I hope this isnt your case, but worth checking out.

Your plasma tip may be too tight loosen the end cap so when you push on the tip it snaps back a bit. I think this needs to happen for blow back start.

I will have to take a look at that thank you. weirdo because it was doing it before I changed the tip and electrode…

Make sure the electrode plunger is free and not stuck.

1 Like

I will thank you for your help

Update: replaced the poorly designed broken torch head connector pins thanks to gamble garage. Also installed a new electrode new swirl ring with correct direction tip and ceramic torch head itself. Unit turns on air is clean and dry. 75 PSI at the torch proper gapping, everything working as it should accept it just blows air still why? Need to get this fixed ASAP way behind… Any suggestions tried everything so far…

Replying to myself repair my other torch renew torch pens hooked it up to the torch and how cutting second one of the junk torches I’ve gotten now