Torch stops firing after exactly one inchish of cutting ( SOLVED )

So… I’m really upset I use this table for my business and I have several orders waiting for me. Ive been able to fix any problems on my own just from reading past forums, but I just don’t know what to do at this point, so some help would be much appreciated.

I have a cut I’m trying to do for a client in 1mm grade 5 titanium, that I have successfully cut out with A36, Stainless, and aluminum basically flawless, but whenever I try to cut it out with the titanium the client wants and everytime the torch stops firing on each portion of the cuts. It honestly could be an oversight on my part because I’m really new to this stuff, but I honestly don’t think so.

The torch fire without stopping alone so I don’t think it’s that, and it cuts just fine on all other materials when placing my clamp I always put it straight on my materials so I know it’s grounded. I’ve read some stuff about how it might help to move my torch away from my wires, and nothing has changed. I’ll attach some pictures of how it stops at exactly the same length everytime.

I’d really appreciate some help, thanks.

Welcome, From the size of the kerf and the heat markings I would say you are trying to cut to slow.

6 Likes

Well Its on 50 in/min, would the speed really effect it, and make the torch stops firing?

Way too slow for 1mm. Try at least 100ipm possibly more.

I would personally try 200ipm and then slow down if it’s not cutting through.

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll try it!

Yea bc the torch melts all metal it can create an arc to that is within reach.

2 Likes

That makes alot of sense! I’ll give that a try and let you all know if it works. Thanks for the help.

Worked first try, thank you all so much!

3 Likes

Just a heads up on grade 5 Ti. I do work with it in aviation related and no heat type cutting is allowed due to embitterment that will occur when the atmosphere hits it unprotected. Mechanical or water jet are the only processes allowed.

If it’s for art or totally non-structural then it will not be an issue.

3 Likes