Torch not moving claimed distance (solved: wrong ruler....)

Had my table up and running, everything was good. Had to switch to a different laptop(an older one)downloaded the latest version’s of everything and now the actual travel of the torch is off.
The lead screw couplers are all tight. The tool is set up the same as it was with the other laptop. All my parameters are set up the same but it consistently cuts undersized. I set up a ruler and zeroed off on the end, put it to jog in 1” increments, hit the key 12 times and its about a quarter inch short of a foot. This happens in both the x and y axis. Initially I thought it may have been my offset settings in fusion but seeing that does it jogging it around manually I figure I can probably rule fusion out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you’re running Windows 10 put fire control 20.6 on your computer.

I would also set your inches per minute to 50 and or 10 and use the page up page down Keys moving the z-axis up and down and confrim that it moves smoothly with no chatter.

I’m not having an issue with the z only the x amd y. THC is working. I uninstalled and reinstalled v20.6 of fire control as I am running windows 10 and its still doing it. Over the span of a foot I am consistently .350” shy.

First off I obviously did a poor job reading the initial problem.

When you cut anything it’s scaled down to about 97% the intended size?

Just theorizing here but what if the power supply in the electronics enclosure is putting out slightly reduced DC voltage? I wonder if this might have that effect.

Problem solved. I’m a dumbass. I inadvertently grabbed a shrink ruler for all my measurements. The machine is fine. Thanks for your help though.

3 Likes

Do you have a pottery studio there…lol

No, I had picked a bunch of machinist stuff at a sale and apparently that was in there. I needed a 12” scale and had it in my drawer not realizing what it was. But when I put a dial indicator on the torch and moved it the light bulb came on. Now its written on it real big in sharpie.

3 Likes