Thoughts on installing plasma cable in drag chain?

Sorry if this has already been brought up here before but the stock “cable support tube” has always been a major eye sore and some times an obstruction when loading material and working around for me. Simplicity aside, what are the reasons not to install the torch cable inside a drag chain? My first ideas where: cable minimum bend radius and interference but the touch off sensor wires and z axis motor cables are already strapped next to the torch cable so I’m thinking interference isn’t the issue. I got some 18x25mm drag chain for testing and it looks like if 7.5" minimum bend radius for the cable is given then it should work. Is there something I’m not thinking of here?

2 Likes

I had an issue recently where FireControl kept giving me an error message saying my torch was in the wrong position and torch cable slack needed to be addressed. After emailing LS, it was determined that my z-axis bearing was sitting too low. In my frustrated email I asked does the plasma cutter need to hang above the table from now on?? You’re right about the support tube being less than ideal, and I recently tossed the little Velcro straps and bent wire to form hooks coming out of the 3 tube holes. I’m trying to imagine how the dragchain would be situated… along the y-axis rail? Hope you can figure out how to apply it, please post if you take it further.

There is a lot of people who have installed drag chains…but do a search to find more

1 Like

Did you ever install the torch cable inside the drag chain? If so… how did it come out. If not, what was the reason that convinced you not to do it?

I have mine in the drag chain, works great!

Looks great! By any chance do you have the Amazon or McMaster Carr link or part number for the drag chain?
Thank you!

I got them from eBay, 2X R55 25mmx50mm Black Cable Drag Chain Wire Carrier 1M For CNC I put 2 together for the longer one on top, but 1m was perfect for the one on the side.

1 Like

Sure did. Happy to report it has been nearly a year with no issues and I use it all the time at a hobby level. However, isolating/grounding everything is necessary. My design looks a bit weird and I had to 3d print some custom curved links but it works well.
IMG_1642

1 Like