THC with new pro / everlast plasma

Langmuir and myself are currently working on this situation right now to help everyone using a Everlast. The output voltage is definitely working, but there definitely needs to be some tweaks in fire control as the output voltage does seem to be a bit lower then some over the other plasma cutters. My live voltage reading is anywhere from 50-70v. I will report back once we get it figured out. MIKE and the Langmuir team have been nothing but extreme help

Ok. So get my table going without THC to start with. Got it.

After doing some testing with @oneupperformance it’s clear that the Everlast Powerplasma machines (maybe not all but certainly some?) are not outputting the advertised 50:1 divided voltage at their CNC ports. The divided port seems to be closer to something like 100:1. What this means is that the displayed ‘Live Voltage’ in FireControl is not representative of the actual arc voltage. The LS-THC unit and software were designed around a 50:1 setup for optimal performance. While it is possible to cut using this port even without accurate voltage information being displayed, we haven’t done enough testing at this divided output to understand what the sweet spot is for all the LS-THC settings in FireControl. Andy was able to get some good cuts on an inclined plate once he did some basic line tests for determining the ideal Nominal Voltage for his plate thickness/cut speed and tweaking some settings, but features like SmartVoltage we’rent working as well. We are disappointed that the Everlast Powerplasma machines don’t seem to be outputting the correct voltage as advertised, but we are here to figure out the best solution for our customers!

Our goal is to do additional testing at a divided voltage of 100:1 to determine if we can come up with some better stock settings for the Everlast folks. We will be working on these the next couple of days and will have some updates soon.

The good news is that anyone with an Everlast cutter has the option of wiring up their LS-THC for Raw Voltage instead if they would rather have optimal performance and the correct actual voltage being used. The CNC port on the Everlast machines fortunately have output pins for raw voltage (pins 5 and 7) that can be wired up to the supplied Raw Voltage Pigtail Cables (red and black banana connector cables with bare wires) that came with the LS-THC units. As always, please make sure that you are following our User Guide for this step as high voltage can be lethal if not installed properly!

2 Likes

Seems like the best route for me… Raw Voltage it’ll be!

2 Likes

@langmuir-mike Is there a downside to using raw voltage?

Is the only reason not to just use raw voltage the fact that most CNC ports don’t provide it?

Also, in forums about the Everest 50:1 issue, I saw where other users have been in contact with Everlast and after checking their machines with other THC’s they reported back that the Everlast plasma’s are giving the data at 50:1 but the way some THC’s use resistors were causing issues. I’ll see if I can find those post.

here is the post I mentioned above.

Not sure how accurate this user is though or if Langmuir can comment about the validity of this, but knowledge is power.

" Hmm,

Further testing has revealed that the Everlast manual is correct about the division ratios. They are indead 16:1 and 50:1
BUT:
Many THC’s must have some sort of scaling resistance internally to scale the input voltage to suit their internal ADC. They may see the Everlast division resistors as an extension of their divider network and display erroneous results.

So shorting out a resistor as shown may work on one THC but be incorrect on another.
In my case, my THC hasa 0-10 volt sensing range internally and can be configured using an external resistor to whatever you like;

So with the divided voltage disconnected from my voltage sensing hardware, a multimeter shows the dividers are indeed 16:1 and 50:1 but as soon as plug the wires into my sensing hardware, the voltage division at the same point becomes:

CODE: SELECT ALL

Native 0-10V range   Dividers of 32:1 and 100:1
Extended 0-20V range Dividers of 24:1 and 75:1

So it seems you need to test against a known voltage to confirm the final dividers on your hardware. Just also be aware that an unloaded DC switch mode power supply may still have a significant AC ripple in it."

1 Like

Mike stated that there is no advantage/disadvantage to using raw voltage vs divided. Just more of a safety thing as raw voltage can see upwards of 300v. That’s why it’s important to read the installation carefully and always be safe as it can kill you.

2 Likes

Are you going to switch over to raw until the issue is sorted out @oneupperformance? I’m just curious.

1 Like

I will tomorrow…the cuts I made on divided once we got the settings dialed in were pretty damn good. I was able to cut a 12" line, and hold one end of the material about a inch and a half higher then the other end of the material and the torch tracked perfectly. But that was with a nominal voltage set to a certain perimeter. When smart voltage was on, the torch would crash into the material. So with divided voltage the THC would work, but you just have to make a few adjustments. Where as with raw voltage, were thinking that won’t be the case

2 Likes

Well if you get a chance, let us know how it goes with raw. I am assembling my table this weekend.

1 Like

Absolutely will do!! That’s what me and Langmuir are wanting to do is sort out this issue with the Everlast, as I’m aware quite a few users are using them. If it can save others from a headache, then I’m always down to help

1 Like

I’ll either have a pro or THC add on for what I have so this is interesting to me too.

Does any of this information discussed change or does it apply to both types of everlast plasma cutters? I assume that some of you have a multi-process unit and others are using a dedicated only plasma cutting machine.
Has anyone talked to Everlast about this and could provide some feedback to the group? If not I may call them this afternoon to see if they can be of any help. I have 2 Everlast Plasma only units and the pro is sitting in the garage waiting for assembly while I still use the 2x2 Crossfire.

1 Like

My plasma cutter is just a plasma. Not a multi processor. I’m using the 50s. Maybe give them a call and report back what they say

1 Like

Im using Everlast 205si, multi-process machine…

Alright guys, finally found some time to mess with the plasma cutter. After talking with Mike, he suggested it would be best to wire the plasma cutter with raw voltage. I did and the THC works great!!! Now for wiring… upon following Langmuirs instructions for wiring up the THC for Raw Voltage, you will need to connect the black banana connector to pin 7 and the red connector to pin 5. Now it is your responsibility to check the cnc port pin out to make sure it is the same as the Everlast 50s, as that is the plasma cutter I am using. I would assume they would all be the same, but again it is your responsibility to check. Hope this helps some of your guy’s out

3 Likes

Awesome man. Thanks for the installation help.

My table has hit a snag because Langmuir sent me 2 left hand bearing carriers (I think that’s what they are called). I am somewhat aggravated with Langmuir on this situation too. Their customer service was great up front and they responded within 30 minutes to my message. When I mentioned that I was in a tough spot because I my crossfire table just sold and I had customer work to get out I was told they would ship the part Monday in a 2 day USPS box. Sweet, I can make that work.
Then on Monday morning I get UPS ground tracking with a delivery date of the following Monday. Well that just sucks because I would’ve paid the priority difference (I doubt there even was a difference in price). Luckily for me the tracking has updated and it is showing Friday (tomorrow) delivery now.

The #1 thing that I am most annoyed about is that Langmuir has not responded or acknowledged my last 2 messages. I was messaging them to try to change the shipping so I could pay for the quicker option. It is annoying to me that they screwed up a second time and have not even acknowledged or responded to me. Very confusing considering how great the customer service has been until this point. They just should’ve told me up front that it would be UPS ground shipping so I could’ve paid for quicker delivery.

I get it man, but Mike, Daniel and the rest of the Langmuir team are trying their best to be 1 on 1 with every customer, and answer every single persons questions. I’m sure it can get pretty hectic for them at times. Hopefully your customer understands and you don’t lose business because of this delay

1 Like

I do understand that and I get it. There’s nothing I nor my customers can do but wait at this point.

Aside from my issues, do you think the quality of your cuts has increased with the new table, software and THC?

You’ve got to love not having to worry about bowed metal anymore. Warped steel has made me want to pull my hair out.

1 Like