THC Plunge down and fail

When I send to cut, THC plunges down hard and stops. Then I get a THC fail message. I have all the grounds per Bigdaddy2166 post. passed the THC voltage test w/ 4.9v.
I also turn off THC and still goes to start point and just plunges down and fail.

Is it software issue or hardware?

Used fluke meter to test and passed the THC setup guide.

All grounds separate from control box (not mounted to table).
USB with voltage noise isolator

Everlast 62i
mini pc

It’s not going to be the THC. The THC doesn’t even turn on until after the Initial Height Sensing loop is complete. The Torch Height Controller is only active during cutting. Any other Z-axis moves are controlled by the G-code.

Post some screenshots of your tool setup and a G-code file, so we can see if there are any problems with your setup.

Everlast 62i…I have the same…never had any problems…
where are you getting your divided or raw voltage from?

if you are trying to get divided or raw voltage from the CNC port on the back of the machine…that could be your first issue…

Everlast plasma units are recommended to get raw voltage right off the terminal lugs inside the plasma cuter…I have posted pictures of that on the forum somewhere…

I’m currently having this issue as well. At first I thought it was the THC but I have followed the guide and confirmed the troubleshoot steps with my DMM per instructions.

I now believe that something is wrong with the IHS loop and fails stopping the cut from happening. I can run straight cuts but as soon as the nozzle touches the metal and the IHS touches the whole thing crashes/disconnects (with sound) and I can’t get any control back and am forced to power off/on everything.

Any suggestions?

The majority of IHS problems are caused by the torch mount being too high in the Z-axis carriage. Jog the Z-axis down until there is about 3/4" of movement left in the carriage movement. Loosen the torch mount and lower it down until the torch hits the metal. Tighten the mount again and jog the Z-axis up to 1" above the material and try to run a cut program.

If you think there is something wrong with your G-code, post a file here and I will look at it.

2 Likes

That did solve my IHS problem, thanks! However, I am still having a THC issue now. Passed both health tests and followed all the steps in the THC setup, the THC troubleshoot flow chart and read multiple forums on the issue. Still crashing as soon as the torch makes contact and isn’t sensing the voltage at all which then disconnects the IHS. Thoughts?

That sounds like an electrical interference issue. What cutter are you using? Are you using a laptop with the charger plugged in?