THC for Crossfire XL

Not to pile on the debate about the pro, but my only issue with langmuir in this is I specifically asked them only a few months ago if they were planning on offering the XL version as one unit before I bought the crossfire and XL kit separately. I also asked them if they were planning a larger table. And I mentioned that specifically, I’d hold off buying if that was the case. No plans, was the response. So I bought…only to disappointed by them coming out with the size table I wanted to begin with. Now, I’m not saying the intentionally lied to me. And i understand why they might not want to get out in front of their skis so to speak…but it was an avoidance of answering my question directly. So I still love langmuir. And as long as they support their product the way they do, I’ll be a loyal customer… but I gotta say…i don’t like this. Just my $.02. Now… I’m stoked I got my xl kit… and I’m plotting just how much I gotta run this thing to make the money for the pro version. Lol… and contemplating the z- control. Happy cutting everyone.

3 Likes

I agree… I just hope it’s not really $1150 to upgrade to THC… if that is the case, I’ll probably just follow the DIY info provided by Dicky.

I bought mine a month ago with XL but I’m not that pissed because that’s just how shit is. Companies always release new stuff and you had to have known they would release a better model sometime. It was just bad timing for the both of us.

I don’t think the THC will work well with the original table because there is no support at the end of the X axis like the new one has.
The weight of the extra motor will most likely cause the torch to start dropping lower as the torch goes out to the end of the X axis with no support for the weight. Mine already does it a little without the motor.
Unless the THC senses the height throughout the whole entire cut. I’ve never used THC so I’m not sure how it works and just detects the height at the start of each cut, or throughout the entire cut.

THC adjusts continuously throughout the cut.

Oh that’s so awesome!

“Companies always release new stuff and you had to have known they would release a better model sometime. It was just bad timing for the both of us.”

Yeah but I specifically asked them a few months ago and they told me no plans for a larger table. Obviously that wasn’t true. I’m not bitter about it. But it does not make me super happy either.

My holding off on the PRO table upgrade from an XL is purely financial… Timing is just not good for me at this time. Kids come first.

However…
I do want THC and wonder if one was to purchase the THC add-on for the XL and when funds become available in the future for the PRO table if I’d have to essentially “re-purchase” the THC and the new electronics enclosure etc? Or, would I be able to transfer those over to the newly bought PRO table less THC and etc?

I’m sure this would be the more expensive way to go in the end but, doing it in parts would work for me…

Just a thought I had sitting here pondering… :wink:

EDIT
((Thought about it a little more))
** I guess I wouldn’t HAVE TO re-purchase the THC as this is an option with the PRO table. It would just be the electronics enclosure then…**

These are great questions…

Hopefully @langmuirsystems @langmuir-daniel @langmuir-megan @langmuir-aksel chime in soon

1 Like

I was blown away when I saw the email that preorder for the pro was starting in ten days or whatever. I agree when the XL upgrade came out, there coulda been some sort of heads up. I have two regular crossfires and almost bought the pro. But as much as I’d like THC couldn’t justify it when my initial first machine makes me money. I guess I may wait and see if they so any add ons for THC. I was almost gonna buy the PRO table and see if I could purchase the THC bf the table ships, but not sure if they would have them in stock. I also wasn’t sure if I could still use my current torch.

I can’t believe how many people are mad about a company doing exactly what it needs to do to succeed. They are in the business to make money and generate revenue, not make everyone feel good.

5 Likes

Yes. Absolutely they are in business to make money. I don’t believe anyone’s begrudging them for that. But most people also don’t want to feel like they are being deceived. I specifically asked them a question. And they did not answer it with what I consider to be the requisite candor. It’s not enough to lose me as a customer. They make a great product. And overall, they have excellent customer service. And they were genius in going after an untapped segment of the market. But a lot of people (like me) feel they should have been a bit more candid about their plans. I’m not mad. I’m frustrated. (That’s my problem not Langmuir’s)There’s a difference. And the way I see it people are just venting their frustrations… like when they did new Coke. Lol.

1 Like

Eeek! Tasted like Pepsi :yum:

1 Like

@langmuir-daniel @langmuir-aksel @langmuir-megan @langmuirsystems @langmuir-mike @langmuir-paul

There are multiple questions that I hope you guys would answer or chime in on…

Thank you.

@Psdkevin
I agree with you and I think some are just missing the point of folks expressing their frustration.

With that said, Langmuir has a strong following because of their historically great customer service and cost basis for their product. But as they start increasing the cost for more advanced and expensive systems they are going to start entering into a market with competitors, which they’ve not had to deal with on their original product. If they don’t learn from how they handled situations like yours they will probably see a downturn in the tidal wave of customer support and excitement for their company. This company was largely branded with an image of “guys in a garage trying to bring a cheap CNC option to the common folk at an affordable price”- and they did that! I absolutely love my crossfire, but at the same time they cultivated and marketed a business model that made the customer feel as though we’re all one big Langmuir family and community that are in this together. It’s a phenomenal strategy that these grassroot companies employ. And I genuinely believe Langmuir is trying their hardest to keep these tools affordable for us, because they know what it’s like to not have access to these tools, while also grow their business.

With all that said, people getting upset at folks expressing disappointment at how this release was handled are ridiculous. We’re all still suporters of the company, but Langmuir could learn from this too, because it’s harder to keep your customer base when you start inching closer to price markets with competitors. At the end of the day- the dollar amount determines 90% of purchases, so it would be in their best interest continue to cultivate this Langmuir cult like support and learn from situations like yours if they want to carry their fan base into competitive markets.

2 Likes

Hi Fromps, i read through this thread looking for the questions that require answers, and it appears that the primary question is ‘What will the THC add on cost for the CrossFire?’ If there are others, please let me know.

The THC kit will include the THC module, arc voltage isolation module, the PRO Z axis assembly with floating head and motor, and the PRO electronics enclosure (less a Y axis slave driver since the CrossFire only has one Y axis motor). As far as price, what’s tentatively advertised is the Electronics and Z axis will cost $750 and the THC and isolation module will be another $400. There isn’t much we can do to lower the price on the THC, but i believe we will be able to offer the Z axis and electronics at lower price.

Regarding how we handled the launch of the PRO… we knew that no matter what we did, some folks would be left feeling frustrated and discouraged. We thought about announcing the PRO before the release of the XL kit. We decided against this because inevitably there would have been folks that would have bought the PRO only to be left discouraged when the XL came knowing it would have met their needs for significantly less cost.

We discussed the option of announcing the PRO months in advance. We decided against this for two reasons. First, we did not want to give our competitors that much time to react. The second was that if you announce the product too early, you lose the element of virality a little bit. People get excited and then that excitement wanes over time. Generally, you want your product ads to peak in virality as soon as you offer the product for sale and i think we achieved this. Furthermore, many customers have asked why we did not announce earlier, because they had recently bought the CrossFire and would have bought the PRO if they had known. The fact is that if we had announced 6 months ago, there would have been folks left upset that bought just before that announcement

10 Likes

Do you have that link to your post? I’d really like to read that.

@langmuir-daniel

First off- thank you for your response. I understand and appreciate your candid answer.

With that said, did you guys give any thought to a simultaneous release of a Z-Axis / THC kit upgrade along with the release of the PRO? I’m sure you would of received enough pre-orders on the upgrade kit along with the PRO to justify fund and manufacturing procurement, while ensuring your original crossfire owners were getting what they originally wanted in the beginning. Having to wait until Batch two sells out doesn’t seem very customer friendly.

Again, thank you for your response.

1 Like

@KX9M @langmuir-daniel

Kx9M asked if we do purchase the upgrade kit for our Crossfires and later decide to upgrade to the PRO, would we be able to just buy the PRO table without the box and THC since we already had it.

I believe that was his question.

So, based on @langmuir-daniel answer. It wouldn’t work out that way to buy the THC/Z-Axis kit now, and order the pro without the controller box and THC.

He stated that the z axis THC kit for the original crossfire would have the PRO Slave axis controller removed from the box. The pro has 4 motors; X,Y,Z,A (Y-axis slave) and 4 axis controllers inside the box. Original machines are 2 axis (2 motors). Kit will give you a third motor, and axis controller.

The THC would be able to be re-used if you happen to upgrade to a pro table later on, so that would save you spending another 400, but you loose the THC functionality on your original table that way.

Guess it depends on your needs… There is also more wiring inside the box for a 4th motor and axis controller.

1 Like

I know I won’t get this answer until people start getting the PRO and tearing into it, but I’d like to know what USB break out board they are using in the new PRO. I’d love to be controlling my THC through Mach3 instead of using the STEP/DIR style THC I have to use now. Much more control that way, and probably a lot easier… Another thing your going to have to remember with THC/Z-axis… More parameters to set, different post processors, pierce heights driving to cut heights. Initial cut height is just that, when THC takes over it uses the monitored torch voltage to control whether the torch goes up or down. I’ve found that this voltage varies from metal thickness, machine speed, etc… My tools in sheetcam are now all named with metal thickness, type of metal, pierce height, pierce delay, THC voltage, kerf… It’s been a learning experience for sure!

1 Like