Summary of process please

New to CNC, but I’ve been doing computer networking for 25 years. Did master Chief Architect building software and built a home.
Now for CNC, hopefully…:disappointed_relieved:
Question is can anyone supply a summary of the process, not in depth, more 1000 foot level
Like, buy camera, choose lens, Choose filter, choose light, etc.
I see there are various software apps involved in setting up the finale file to send to table, but don’t understand the what comes first, second,etc
Thanks for any info.

Well! First purchase your table and Plasma Cutter! I have the CrossFire Pro and the RazorCut45. I bought both through Langmuir, package deal. You will have time to decide which software to choose. You are correct, there are several CAD programs to choose from. Some are free and some will cost. The CAM programs are the same. You can download Fusion360 for free. It has CAD/CAM capabilities. I started with as ToolBoy would say “Confusion360”. It isn’t that hard, just watch the Videos’ on the Langmuir Home Site under support. Any program you choose will have Videos’ to watch and learn. You can start learning the Program you choose before the Machine arrives. Others will help you along the way.

1 Like

Choose your design application - anything that can produce SVG (or DXF) files. If you want to do 3D creations good choices are Freecad (free), SolidEdge (free) or Fusion360 (possibly free but not if you sell your creations). If you want to do signs and artwork and such you can use the above or Inkscape (free), Affinity Designer ($50), CorelDraw (?) or Adobe Illustrator. Folks here and YouTube are your friends for learning how to use those programs.

Buy your CNC machine (for CNC plasma cutting you’ll need the table and a plasma cutter). Set it up according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Since you’re here, we’re gonna assume you’re buying a Crossfire. If you have the money and room in your shop - buy the Pro, otherwise get the standard Crossfire or XL depending on your budget & size of pieces you want to cut. The Pro is the biggest.

Your plasma cutter should really be 240V which might mean you’ll need to make a detour and wire your shop for 240 if it’s not already setup for that. The best ones are Hypertherms (45XP is a crowd favorite here). But others can save you money and almost every brand is represented here - Miller, Everlast, Esab, etc. Just don’t get a High Frequency start machine - won’t work with the Langmuir.

Get a source of clean dry air. A good compressor to match the requirements of your plasma cutter with a drying system of some sort (dessicant filter, tubing loops, powered dryer).

Create a design in the software of your choice and save it as a DXF or SVG file. SVG is a better format than DXF.

You’ll take this file and run it through a program to translate the lines into “toolpaths” which are directions to the Crossfire on how to cut. You need a GCode pre-processor for that. You can use Fusion or a dedicated program called Sheetcam. Most folks recommend Sheetcam unless you’re using Fusion since Fusion can generate GCode that the Crossfire will use to cut out your design. Even so, you’ll find some folks using Fusion use Sheetcam because it’s easier to generate a good GCode file with Sheetcam.

Download the Langmuir software add-ons for whatever software you’re using for GCode generation. If you’re using Fusion you’ll want the pre-processor for Fusion. If you’re using Sheetcam, that’s the pre-processor you’ll need. Think of the pre-processor as the translator for taking the lines of your design and turning it into the GCode the Crossfire will use. Think of GCode as Chinese - there are lots of dialects and Mandarin Chinese isn’t the same as Gan or Pinghua. The same thing is true for GCode - the Crossfire version isn’t the same as Mach3 or other versions. You need to match the dialect using the correct translator or pre-processor.

Take that resulting TAP or NC file (the GCode) and load it into FireControl (the program that drives the Crossfire). Then you hit the run button and if you’ve setup your table right, you’ll get a part cut out.

Take the part and clean it up - you’ll likely get some dross (melted bits of metal) on the sides of your cuts. Use a grinder with a wheel or flap disk to clean it off.

BTW, do a search on YouTube for Crossfire and you’ll find a bunch of videos that will show you how all these steps are accomplished.

2 Likes

WOW, thanks for taking the time. That helps a lot.
I’ve watched a number of videos so far.
How often does Langmuir put out software updates? Also I spoke with them, was surprised to learn they have no phone support, only email. Does that work good for most?? Being in the compute business I’m always Leary of new companies, Langmuir only having been around since 2018. What I’ve read people say their pretty solid. I also notice a number of videos with Alienware laptops as the processor, I assume their software as well as the software you mention is pretty processor intensive?

their email support is quick…fast and efficient…for most people…you will find a few complainers…but those ones are never happy.

Langmuir tables…for the price…support…community…I doubt you will find anything better…and with such a large fanbase of support…you can expect them to be around for a long time…

you can also do a lot of modifications to the table without affecting the function or warranty of the table.

as for processing…the table can be run with a $78 amazon raspberry like unit with a touch screen…guy here have done that.
keep in mind the table is not tied to your design software…the table is stand alone with Firecontrol.

what can use alot of processing power id the design and post processing software…programs like Fusion360 are killers on computing power

I was running Inkscape (design) into Sheetcam (post processor) into the Firecontrol (Langmuir cutting softeware) all on an old windows 7 crappy old desktop a friend gave me…and it worked fine…till it dies of old age.

I have a basic Lennovo laptop…works fine…

nutshell again…

• Table choice
  • plasma cutter choice
  • compressor powerful enough to supply air for torch (check torch requirements)
  • Air drying system …very important saves life of tips and better cuts (refrigerated, desiccant system, mechanical loop drying…or a combination of these)
  • Air filtration, clean air is real important to save life of tips (consumables)
  • power requirements, make sure you have the power you need for all components
  • Ventilation, exhaust fans…PPE…open windows and doors
  • Software…design software so many to choose from…post processing software (Sheetcam or fusion360)
2 Likes

You guys are great , nice to know someone has your back !
Thanks Ron from Mn,

Software updates seem to come out at t pretty good pace. Software support to fix bugs is great, and new features are added too. The support for the hardware has been top notch.
The community here will answer questions outside (or even dealing with Support) like cut quality, Speed/ feed recommendations, How to, drawings, business advice, general back patting if you create something neat, and moral support as you figure things out or try new things along the way.
I run my Table on a 10yr old hand me down laptop (added a bit of RAM and an SSD when I got it).
Drawing happens on my big Desktop in the house. It doesn’t take much of a computer to run the table. But as noted before some of the drafting or design programs can want a much beefier computer.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info, I am sure a fair amount of patients is required also…

Actually, we try very hard to reduce the number of patients. Sometimes we just can’t help it, but, with patience, things are improving…

2 Likes