Stuck relay or bad MCB?

Having troubles with my Crossfire table, with the table on the relay acts like it is stuck in the on position, which in turn keeps the torch fired at all times. It is my second relay and I have never been able to complete any cuts. With the plasma unhooked it follows cut paths properly. I am suspecting a bad motion control board. I am using a Hypertherm powermax 30. I do not have the THC /Z axis. is there any way to troubleshoot the MCB? I do get continuity at the ON/Off port with the relay and and none with it removed.

Sounds like a bad relay (stuck closed). Does it click as soon as the power is applied?

It does click as soon as it’s powered up. It is a new relay that was sent after I went through the trouble shooting process for the first one. Would be unfortunate if it is a second faulty one, I guess anything is possible

Check for continuity between the wires you have connected to the plasma cutter for the trigger.

1 Like

There is continuity with the relay powered on. And nothing with the relay removed or power off.

I did not ask that. Is there continuity between the 2 wires you have from the plasma cutter for the trigger when they are unhooked from the controller???

No, plasma cutter works as it should. Trigger works fine. Only when it’s hooked to the controller it stays on.

I am not asking that… Is there continuity on the 2 wires from the plasma cutter to the controller you wired in for the trigger??? Yes or No

1 Like

No. Continuity

So if you turn the plasma cutter on and touch those wires together the torch will fire? Yes or No

Yes that is correct

OK, turn the plasma cutter off. Next do not hook the wires to the controller and turn it on. If the relay clicks then most likely its a bad board as there is a short some were.

1 Like

If it clicks right away I suspect the board. If it didn’t click but the torch fired I would suspect the relay was stuck closed. Please get a message to Langmuir support they will have additional ideas for troubleshooting and can tell you what to replace.