Spring 2023 Firepit design "contest"

Super project. Love the simplicity & effectiveness of rocket stoves. This looks great!

2 Likes

Thank you. When I built my first stove, I used a 3" square tube with 3/16 inch wall. Too much mass to warm up to ever get a good draw. I actually tried 4 times and never got a fire to burn. Then I cut pieces out of 10 gauge steel and carefully welded each piece checking for being aligned and squared. That is the one in the photo with the fire. I had made a 12 gauge one a few months ago with a few pieces designed to bend hoping it would improve the ease of assembly but never finished my “grinding” otherwise known as “welding” to the professionals. :upside_down_face: But, the real thing that I had hoped for was for the primary body, during construction, to maintain the alignment and keep square. I am hopeful this “sheet metal - flange design” solves a significant portion of that.

I may not get a chance to cut it out for a few more weeks. So I might warn people to use the current design at their own risk. I already know the pot holder pieces may not be designed correctly but that is minor pieces of metal. It would be nice if we could edit our entries in FireShare for this reason but I guess I need to be more cautious before posting.

2 Likes

I’m back on designing my firepit. I see we have a couple already submitted and they look awesome!

My design goals are the following in order…

• Under $100 (greatly depend on choice of steel) 4x8ft - 16ga = $62 & 14gais $115 & 11 ga = $185
  • Easy to put together
  • at least 28" x 32" size
  • Last 2-3 seasons (16-gauge steel sides with maybe double sheet bottom)
  • Cool design that looks good

With steel prices going crazy most people just don’t want to pay the money for a firepit that lasts forever which would be 11-gauge. Many of the cheap firepits are made of 18-gauge steel but I wouldn’t go less than 16 myself. 14-gauge seem like a great option but double the cost. I may consider using 14-gauge bottom and 16-gauge sides. I use my current firepit about 5-8 times a year only. Has anyone made a firepit using 16 gauge?

3 Likes

I’ve made a bunch from 14ga and they need bracing to keep them from warping from heat. I added a fold to make a frame around the top to keep the sides from warping.

5 Likes

pic of metal differences…

2 Likes

I brought 2 of these into reality .

ezgif-4-e7c9a0d186

I made some ramen and broccoli for the kids.

took about 12 minutes to boil 6.5cups of water.

a wise note. " do not use your nice pot from the kitchen and burn some pitchy bark mix in with the wood."
was an ugly mess to clean up.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/fireshare/spring-2023-firepit-contest-folding-firebox-stove-remix-2-14-ga

I would make the slots just slightly larger if I was to make another.

9 Likes

This is awesome!

2 Likes

Outstanding!

So how much trouble are you in? Is it:
Level 1 (Low level, already better). “Honey, I’m sorry.”
Level 2 (Mea culpa moment). “I would like to take you out to dinner tonight to let you know how special you are to me.” or,
Level 3 (Armageddon) . “I know you have been wanting…[fill in the blank]. Why don’t we just do it!”

3 Likes

Not sure yet still working on it…

2 Likes

Ruh Row! :grimacing:

1 Like

try toothpaste, baking soda and little bit of water…warm soapy water is much tougher on the wrist

2 Likes

you should make some kinda holder to hold everything together while transporting.

1 Like

You do them out of 14ga? I like this design.

I have seem some that have handles built-in but that is a great idea.

My firepit is finished and burns wood. I added the chair next to it so you could scale it. i did add a few pieces of angle iron in bottom. I could have made a couple with scrap but was after thought. This is no weld design. I’m excited to see it start rusting and changing color in next few weeks.

Bear firepit made for 14ga steel | FireShare | Langmuir Systems

7 Likes

Very nice. Looks like you’ve captured a forest fire. :blush:

6 Likes

I know I’ve seen some that are like a clamshell. You stack everything on one side then close it on top of the stack.

1 Like

Thank you ,Yes made out of 14 gauge. The design is a third generation remix heavily modified. I have a new one in the works that’s completely original.

I might make a couple different firepit rings for the fileshare. Simple and easy I was thinking like 15" tall x 30" wide so you could get 3 of them on 1 sheet on the PRO. That would make a little over a 28.5" ring. I only see one on the fileshare which is surprising to me.

2 Likes

I’ve been working on another mini stove(not quite complete). I’ll live stream a little walk through.

This stove maybe the exact same foot print as the last stove I posted but it is new design complete.

I wanted to add some efficientancy to this design

2 Likes