SOLVED XZ Carriage binding/Z laid back

Greetings contributors and thank you for all the helpful information I have been absorbing while waiting for my CFPro. I am (finally) in assembly and arrived at the Z tramming phase. My Z axis assembly is leaned back toward the rear of the table (with all adjustment screws backed out with less than a full thread engaged). The X carriage assembly has a ton of stiction along its travel and the bearings that ride on top and front of gantry tube feel like they are binding with pronounced wear on the gantry tube. Marks look like they are riding on their edges, rather than their flats. Driving the adjustment screws in would only lean the Z further back, so I have no obvious adjustment options for the Z perpendicularity issue.

As far as the X carriage bearing tightness, I don’t see an adjustment that would lessen their contact. Am I missing something? I have the following possible theories: (1) gantry tube is not square in section (confirmed with an engineers square; it’s not terrible, but there), which might make bearings bind on adjacent tube faces and ; (2) X carriage angle is not square, which would have the same effect and (3) I made a bonehead move and installed something wrong. Anybody see anything obvious?

have you tried loosening the top allen bolts a little? I had a similar situation. even just turning the top bolts with an allen wrench brought the z axis forward so you can adjust like in the video.

I believe those top bolts ride an oval slot instead of a hole so you can adjust back and forth.

I had to loosen the lock nuts (which were hamfisted on) and start over. As soon as I loosened then, the X axis carrier popped out of the bind and the Z leaned forward. Took a little finesse to find the sweet spot to reset the lock nut and bolts, but once done that fixed both issues and I have a free movement of a trammed Z axis. Thank you!

3 Likes