Solved! Sticky plunger: Everlast 82i wont fire

Clam shell and springy sprung are both industrial standard nomenclature for us technically challenged.

3 Likes

I just started having erratic torch issues and I have the Everlast 82i. I’m wondering if that is my problem?!?!?!

Do you have the machine torch? I’m going to check mine first thing in the morning.

Hope that’s all it is!

If you have the machine torch do not use the lower clamp on the torch head. I see this a lot and it causes damage to the torch head and causes misfires because the inner parts can not move freely.

1 Like

Well there you go, that’s exactly where mine is clamped🙄 Thanks for letting me know sir!
This is the best forum I have ever been on where you fine folks share your knowledge :+1:

1 Like

Yes mine is a machine torch. What happens when you clamp that section of the torch (what mechanic is referring to) is the molded tab that is apart of the clam shell body (circled in red) clamps itself against the brass piece (Blue arrow) which is what plunges back and forth (blows back). If you zoom really close and look under the brass plunger in the picture, you’ll see another tab that is molded into the torch housing that is just like the one circle in red. Too much clamping causes these two tabs to pinch against the plunger and wont let it move freely like it should. In my case, the blue wire next to the red circle was pinched between the tab and the brass body causing it to stick even when not clamped. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks fellas!

That fixed it!
Thanks again

1 Like

when I tighten my cap it takes up all of the spring action of the plunger is this normal? becuase it doesnt seem like it is to me. Ive been searching every where to find out. Ive tried tightened the cap to allow the plunger full travel with enough tension so the tip doesnt move around but didnt get good cuts and were very erratic. I have a ptm100 102i setup. please help

Do you have the torch secured below the upper housing? If you have it bolted down at or near the tip it will jam the plunger.

2 Likes

As I said on your other thread, the tip is not supposed to move when the torch is assembled. The electrode can still move inside the torch body.