SOLVED- IHS does not reverse the ZAxis

Keeps the Z Axis going past the Gcode. G38.2 Z-5.0 F100 does not stop.
No IHS green light
Using Cross Fire Pro Version 20.6.2
THC not used.

Code is showing too much travel distance I think. What are you post processing with. May be a z zero is set to bottom of work and you have a material thickness entered that makes it think you have 5 inches of travel?

Does the Z axis go in the correct direction or wrong direction? If it’s going in the wrong direction, you need assistance from @langmuirsystems
Does it ‘crash’ into your workpiece and keep trying to run? If it goes in the correct direction but does not stop running once it touches the workpiece that you have a problem with the IHS switch wiring. Again, @langmuirsystems can advise how to debug.

1 Like

It goes in the correct direction but does not stop once it touches the workpiece

If you are not getting an IHS indicator in FireControl there is an issue with your IHS signal.

Are the blade connectors from the Z Axis assembly fully seated into the IHS cable?
Is the IHS cable fully inserted into the Electronics Enclosure in the correct port?
Do you have a multimeter to check continuity over the cable?

When you lift up on the Z-Axis slide, the IHS indicator light should come on. If all of the above are correct then it is possible something came loose inside the enclosure. With the power unplugged trace the IHS cable input wires back to the Motion Control Board and make sure nothing is loose.

1 Like

I will check the wiring out with a multimeter. Thanks

Wouldnt the g code say IHS backlash in it?

With it saying -5 in the code it makes me think the torch is trying to move 5 inches to find zero. Buuuut, the mechanical sensor of the IHS should stop that, so still an IHS signal issue, but could the code still be wrong?

The command: G38.2 Z-5 F100 moves the Z axis -5 inches UNTIL it either moves 5 inches OR the ‘Probe’ limit switch is tripped.

Then you would either zero Z, move up by the backlash, and zero again, or, more efficiently, set Z to -Backlash.

It is odd that Z is moved as quickly as it is (unless its moved quickly to trip, backed up and then moved slowly would make sense) and, in my system, I use G38.1.

Ok, I found one spade connector was not push in all the way, I fix that. This gave the IHS green light back and does work the right way now. But the crash gave me a few more things to fix. The force the Z motor put on the whole Z assembly loosened the bearing preload and may be out of square with the table too. I will have to fix that before I try the G-code again. Its not the G-code that was at fault. I know what cause this to crash now. The only way that spade connector could get loose, was when I removed the PCB to do the USB L1 removal from the board. I have not used the Crossfire pro for months , to take care of my wife.

1 Like

I will get back to let you all know how this comes out, too cold in the garage now.

hope all is well…most of us never want bad things for our wives…exwives…poissbly…

She passed in Oct. after 66 years.

Well it is fixed! Every thing works.
Thanks to Langmuir and the guys in the forum, well done!

2 Likes

Im sorry for your loss. Keep your mind busy.

Sorry for your loss. to early for anyone in this world…

Glad you have the table up and running