So you think you can weld

A man came to the Marina today to get an axle spindle fixed. I took one look at this repair job and told him my insurance would not cover me.
I believe that our own @ChelanJim has gone in the welding business.

The trailer is so rusted out that you can literally poke your finger through the main beams.

8 Likes

If you can’t weld good, weld a lot.

7 Likes

I always grind my welds when they come out like that

6 Likes

Mabe I am the only one… BUT… what’s wrong here? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

5 Likes

I am certainly not the best welder in the world, and I know that everyone has to start somewhere but…come’on man.

It’s kind of scary that things like that are out on the road.

4 Likes

My 10 year old can run a better bead! I’m not a welder but my turd strings look better than that and still get grinded because I’m embarrassed :joy:

2 Likes

Unless you’re being sarcastic (never can tell), the first thing that jumps out at me is the lack of a “wet” edge on all those (ahem) “beads”. Additionally, there appears to be little (if any) fusion between the beads that are stacked.

In my humble opinion, would not pass the hammer test.

3 Likes

I was joking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl: My welds are not great… not sure those could even be considered as welds. :man_shrugging:

Everybody has to start somewhere… preferably not on something being towed down the road.

4 Likes

Hey! He promised me that he would not show you. :rage: :wink:

2 Likes

My sentence isn’t as long: “I always grind my welds.” :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

You can’t blame him here… Hard to grind in those close corners:

2 Likes

Hmm… Die grinder!

2 Likes

I use a Dremel in such spots. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

3 Likes

We had someone bring this hydraulic cylinder into the shop that they had “fixed” once already.

5 Likes

Words can’t describe that one…

2 Likes

That weld failed? That is interesting. :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

Obviously, the gold standard with welding is “stacking dimes.” That photo shows the opposite called “bird nesting.” That is not even worthy of acceptance into the “Grinder Club.” Grinding won’t disguise that one.

Another “Grinders” motto: “Our standards may be low but they are not that low: part has to break in another spot.”

6 Likes

I have heard it said if you’re weld isn’t great put extra. I don’t believe that line. This person is a overachiever for sure.

4 Likes

I believe that may best be described as a metallurgic venereal disease.

4 Likes

:thinking: I’m thinking there has to be a better description than that! I stopped trying to fathom what THAT disease might entail…

7 Likes

I found this video interesting with new fancy welders:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing that Jeff.

You make me feel better knowing that the ‘dimes’ may not really represent the integrity of a better weld.

Since I can’t “stack dimes” I am feeling like there is hope for me…
…on second thought, not really much hope for me!!! :rofl:

Side Note: I have never worked at a place that gives out Christmas gifts at the company party like this group did!!! :balloon: :christmas_tree:

1 Like