SketchUp- Good, Bad or Ugly

I am very fluent in SketchUp. I have used it for about 8 years now for all of my woodworking and welding projects. The version I have, I can export as DXF. I have been playing around with Fusion and trying to build some momentum on the learning curve, but it has not not been enjoyable. Anyone successfully using SketchUp? I was thinking of pairing it with Sheetcam. I still have a couple months until my bundle of joy is delivered, so there is time to flatten the learning curve. However, if SketchUp will fill the bill, I would rather spend the time focused on learning the other software and designing things to be cut out.

1 Like

If you’re happy with SketchUp, which I’ve used for years, then the Sketchup/SheetCam combination is perfect. Design in SketchUp, export to DXF (I forget which version but I think you should use DXF version 14 if possible) and import into SheetCam to convert to G-Code. If you need help, let me know, I can walk you through it.

2 Likes

I was great at sketch up but didn’t think it exported as dxf. I need to look at it again!

IIRC, its under save as… or export 3d, or export 2d Image :flushed:
In any case, there are a whole slew of choices on what format to save/export and DXF is in about 3 or 4 of them…

In any case, if you can’t find it, poke me, I’ll send the deets tomorrow…

It depends on which version as to whether or not your able to export as dxf. The newer free versions not so much so. I think the new free shop version has it but I’m not sure. I’m running the 2017 version and can do dxf.

I think you’re right. I have the Pro version so I’m probably wrong about everyone having the ‘feature’.
It is also why I’m not renewing it as their yearly updates have gotten too expensive proportionate to the feature enhancements. Most of the really useful tools are user created add-ons so I can’t see paying a development team in Colorado for same-old same-old…

Most all my dimensional stuff is in SketchUp. I believe I have version Make 2016 and a DXF export script. Works really well. Transfer to SheetCam for operations, then it’s cutting time.

Yeah when google bought it they probably pulled dxf from the free version.

Yep, they will hit you for $120 a year before you can export as dxf. They can shove their subscription right up their downdraft.

I’ll stick with Affinity.

1 Like

The 2017 can still be down loaded for free from Sketchup. The catch though is it won’t let you add anymore 3rd party plugins or models from the warehouse. For me that is not a big issue.

1 Like