Should I grind rusty slats

when I got my new cnc machine the slats for the water table came to us rusty, should I grind them so they are shiny? I’ve read that they should be shiny when you get them but langmuir sent us rusty slats and I know if we tell them to get us new slats it will probably take them a month to deliver.

The slats are a consumable item that will likely spend most of their life submerged- they will not remain pristine nor do we recommend grinding them so they are shiny. We do not guarantee their wont be any surface rust on slats and this will not affect their performance.

2 Likes

I have no idea where you read they should be shiny…they wont even stay nice after the first cut…then by the 10 cut you will wonder if they still work or are any good…

the only time you need to replace them if when they no longer hold your metal up…then flip them over and use the other side…

1 Like

I read that if they are not clean then it will affect water quality.

You need to check your sources… This forum is (usually) a reliable source of information. The rest of the web? uh, wouldn’t give two rusty slats for them…

2 Likes

ok thank you for the insight.

as for your water and slats…as long as you have a decent water cutting additive…
I use greencut…

I have zero rust on anything…I filter and reuse my water I have this in it…and there is not rust on anything…slats are cut to pieces but not rusty…the metal I cut is not rusting…even the scrap the comes off the bottom of the table does not rust when removed…

there are other products out there…and many home made mixes people use…if you just cut with clean fresh water all the time you can expect rust…but it does not affect anything…

I only ground the tops of my slats to clean off the slag from cuts (or welds where I had a warped sheet and needed a good way to hold it flat a few strategic tack welds work wonders). The Sides look nasty, bits are missing (I have since learned to move small jobs around so I’m not cutting all the slats up in one area with a bunch of small jobs).

2 Likes

I can confirm that rusty slats will affect water quality. Of course I wouldn’t drink it from the moment it touched the water pan clean slats or not, but that might just be me :grinning:. I can also confirm that undrinkable water in the table does not affect cut quality :grin:

1 Like