Shocking Revelation with CUT60 and PTM-60

I’m looking for a little help. I was running my table with an undersized Hypertherm 30Air. I just installed a PrimeWeld Cut60 with the PTM-60 Machine torch. During my first cut I touch my swing stand that holds my computer (similar to the Langmuir stand) and got a minor shock while the machine was cutting.

No issues when the machine was not running.

Of course you can’t just get shocked once before you say “hey maybe somethings up” so I ran another cut and sure enough I got shocked again.

Conditions: Laptop not plugged into charger. THC plugged into DIV power using 1-2 and 4-6 pins as I read and followed from other posts. This is a 3rd Gen machine.

Cut voltage feeding back though a laptop stand that is not isolated from the table is a common occurrence.

It’s just a bad idea to have a computer stand that is bolted to the table with no isolation.

If you must have it attached to the table, use plastic or rubber washers on both sides of the bolted interface between the table and the stand. Ideally, you would use a grommet that prevents contact between the bolt and the stand.

1 Like

I will give that a shot. I did take my charger out and plug in the laptop as well as triple check all the connections and I didn’t get shocked on this last test cut. I guess something I’m going to have to watch for a while.

You can also connect an Earth cable to the table and then to a dedicated Grounding rod (rod should be installed no less than 6’ away from any other grounding rods …Basiclly I’m telling you to install the rod to code).
I had some issues with my first table and ended up doing that. But you nee to make sure to add a ground/earth wire between the frame/pan and the gantry arm as the two are separated by the plastic rollers and leadscrew nuts.

Here’s a good document from Hyperthem that covers all of this in a much better fashion. It will work with any plasma cutter.

Hopefully this helps in keeping you safe.
Bruce

1 Like