Shipping of items

Figured some of you guys have experience shipping larger items

I recently got a sale online for a 4’x4’ sign, by the time it was packaged up the dimentions were roughly 55"x55"x 3", weighing 20 lbs

UPS wanted to charge $380, and i was figuring about $50 lol…

So how are you guys shipping large items where its not costing a fortune, because theres no way to be competitive with that added onto the sign cost.

Thanks in advance!

I had the same sticker shock that you had. Yesterday, my sister-in-law sent a text message:
“Can you please make a sign like this for our friends? I need it by August 2nd.”

Even though the ad states that this company would ship within 24 hours, they replied that they could not promise the sign sooner than August 10th.

I have promised a sign to my bother-in-law and wife for years but they have never taken me up on it so I said “Sure. And, No Charge.”

I checked with UPS: Washington to Oklahoma for a 26"x26"x3" parcel will cost $175 for next day air and $100-$125 for second day delivery.

You can’t make money if you are needing to be competitive with pricing the shipping. I don’t know how these companies do it.

3 Likes

Wow yeah thats insane. There has to be another way thats cheaper. Ive sent a few items to friends and family that were smaller say 30" diameter for $30 via USPS but anything larger seems to be out of the question

I use Pirate Ship. It’s basically like a group/commercial rate at all the major shipping venues. I’ve been really happy with it. I’ve not seen any marketing or other nuisance issues related to creating my account.

Free UPS and USPS shipping software | Pirate Ship

3 Likes

How long does it take before arriving?

…In other words, can you plan for 2nd or 3rd day delivery for 1/2 way across the country?

Just for ‘fun’ I went to Metals Depot.com to see what a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge steel would cost.

If you check the box “Please cut my order for UPS/FedEx” it then tells you the largest size is 2 feet x 4 feet or a small item that is 6 feet long. Here are those prices:

Edit: Just to be clear…those are only the shipping costs. It does not have the cost of the metal added to that number yet. The 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge is presently about $100.

1 Like

I just tried Pirate Ship from my home in S Indiana to zip 98382. Next Day for 26’ x 26’ x 3’ at 20lbs was $146 and 2nd Day was $69.00.

5-6 day was like $33.

3 Likes

Bret, that is incredible…98382 is where I live!!! How did you know that? :rofl:

No. I mean that IS really something. Definitely will consider this next time when it is not something that someone else expects it on-time. I don’t think my sister-in-law would be understanding if I miss the date with Pirate Shipping. :man_shrugging:

But thanks. It is good information to have.

@Merk, you could price the shipping and use Pirate Shipping. Let the customer decide and therefore take the risk of timing. They could pay nearly twice as much for UPS or Pirate Shipping. That would be fair trading.

1 Like

I probably didn’t make this clear. When you use Pirate Ship, you are sending the package through USPS, FEDEX, UPS,… or whomever you chose. You are just doing so through PS’s commercial account.

It’s basically just a way to get a discount at any of the major shipping companies.

2 Likes

I shipped 5 boxes a few weeks ago from Delaware to California they were from 15 to 35 pounds UPS and cost $205 for all of them. I used the code SAVENOW when printing the labels. Set up a UPS account and never take it to a UPS store it will cost you a arm and leg.

I may also look into what @Wsidr1 is using also.

3 Likes

I use the jumbo craft and jumbo white fold over mailers from uline. Book Mailers, Book Mailing Boxes, Self Seal Boxes in Stock - ULINE - Uline

They are nice and slim and cheap. Perfect for metal art. Cheap to ship and calculate via ups as well. I think I shipped a 24x24 16g sign for less than $40.

2 Likes

Once again Bret @Wsidr1 , you just saved me a bunch of money. I just shipped that package (28x25x1 inch, 11 pounds, irregular packaging charge, 2nd day air with UPS). I used PirateShip.com for the first time. (Note: “Irregular package” charge was included and was an additional $12.95.)

Here were some of my choices and you can see what the normal charge would have been:

Of course Craig @holla2040 would not let me keep all of that money I saved as I just purchased $80+ dollars on some grinding disks he recommended. And you know how I love “grinding.” :rofl:

5 Likes

Grind on my good man!

2 Likes

My wife said I couldn’t listen to you anymore but then she smiled and said “But you know how you are a ‘grinder!?’”

I think I tell her too much…she is using my words against me. :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

You can tell her “Meo percussus gladio!”

2 Likes

Now, Tom, I had to look up the last one. Where in God’s name do you come up with these quotes?

" Stuck by my sword" Yes, Jimmy has cut himself by his actions. No doubt.

1 Like

Are you sure she didn’t say Grindr? She might be telling you something. :wink:

3 Likes

Much appreciated John. I was going to look that up, as well.

And that:

I believe Tom is from another time and place! And… He strikes when you least expect it.

It’s generally interpreted to mean “Struck down by my own sword” where your own weapon is used against you.

2 Likes