Sheetcam isn't able to import or see file folders or dxf. drawings created in another software?

I typically draw 2d in and older version of bobcad, that being said I decided to create a folder in bobcad to put dxf. etc. files in for the plasma table. since I have CNC mills and lathes running I wanted to keep the plasma files separate. When I go to sheet cam it doesn’t even see the folder or the dxf drawings inside. I’m also using a new laptop with windows 10 for this table since it lacks a controller of its own. I also might add I’m no computer whiz especially on windows 10.

Thanks in advance

When you’re in SheetCam, to load a new DXF, SVG, etc, you go to File->Import drawing and it will open a File Explorer type window. If you look in the lower right hand area, you’ll see an option box to filetype. Oddly, they only include one file type in this choice, so, if you’re looking for a DXF and it’s looking for SVG, only SVGs will be shown. Select the filetype you want to load and then, select the folder containing the files.
SheetCam will remember the last folder you used.

2 Likes

Hi, I understand that part and some and files are available, however the new folder that I put the plasma dxf drawings in doesn’t even show up in the list. Thinking it has something to do with the security system and the authorized users. not sure how to correct the problem though.

Sorry, I can’t help you there…

Thanks it has to be something to do with security or permissions.

Hello. Did you ever figure this out. I’m having same issue. When I create a DXF file in fusion 360 I can’t find it to import into sheetcam it doesn’t show up but if I search for it on the PC it shows it’s in the folder I created but sheetcam doesn’t show any folders in my desktop to import from

I recently started using Win11 and have noticed sometimes files are tagged as Hidden when I really have no idea why. You might go into Windows Explorer and confirm “View” includes Hidden folders.

Windows key + E
Select the three dots for more options
View
About the middle of the selections there is Hidden files…

1 Like

Hidden files, on a Windows system, are typically where ‘system’, ‘installed programs’, or ‘private files’ are located. These are generally not a good place to put data files. When you export in Fusion, it gives you a chance to select the destination folder, but defaults to a ‘User’ folder which would be considered ‘private’ and therefore hidden. @Wsidr1 's tip will allow you to find these folders, but you might want to be more circumspect on where you store data files.

Find a place that you want to store your projects, then select that when you export. Fusion will continue to use this space until you change it.

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I will check it out. It’s most likely my issues because it’s a new laptop with windows 11. I will report back

I created folders on my desk top per the instructions I had read or watched on the ole Ytube and the folders show up when I’m trying to locate the file in sheetcam but shows folders are empty but then if I go back into fusion it shows the files in the folders and I can see the files in the folders on my desktop but sheetcam doesn’t see them for some reason

Post a screen cap of the folder on your desktop using Windows Explorer. Something is amiss here…

Again, when you get to the file explorer window from the Sheetcam import menu, you have to choose the file type. If you have SVG in that file type field and all of your files are DXF, it will show as an empty folder. This is because it’s only looking for SVG files and there aren’t any in that folder.

I’ll try to get a screenshot of the field I’m talking about and post it when I get home.

The spot where the Red arrow is pointing must say DXF files or your folder full of DXF files will show as blank.

1 Like

Will do when I get home.

I thought I did that but I will double check when I get home. I’m a wireless tech so I work on PC’s everyday dealing with files and folders and loading files to equipment and using SFTP servers and files being buried to deep but I will double check when I get in front of that PC later on and let you know what I find

One thing, that’s relatively easy to do, is to export again, but when you get to the saveas screen, just see where Fusion is putting it, don’t bother saving it, you’ll just know where it is.

1 Like

It was just as DS690 had mentioned. I totally overlooked it I guess. Works like a charm now. Thank you folks for the help

2 Likes