Sheet Steel Suppliers

Just a quick question, as I’ve been working with a couple of suppliers but haven’t found anything great yet…

What types of sources are y’all using for metal supply? Big regional steel houses or small local metal suppliers?

I’m struggling to figure out if I’m getting ripped off or not. Perhaps we could also share some pricing on common sizes.

I have a quote right now for 1/4" A36 48x96 at $327. $682 for 1/2".

I just got started and got a 4x8 hot rolled of 14ga for around $60 plus $3 to cut (shear) in half. The company is Patton’s but it’s just here in SoCal I think.

1 Like

Biggest couple of questions I have

#1 where are you? bfe or major manufacturing area?

#2 do you have a trailer for local pickup or do they need to deliver it?

#3 do you a towmotor?
1/4 × 48 x 96 is 10.21 lb per sq ft or about 325 # and 1/2 like 650 #.

#4 do you have a truck/trailer?

Alot of questions but all relevant.

For example, I work at a machine shop so I order from our supplier and have shipped to work cod.

NOW my shop is tiny…I can not manipulate anything bigger than 48 x 48 onto my table. So manpower < towmotor so max by myself safely is 48 x 48 14 gage, or 36 x 48 1/8 in.

I get 3/16 " by 36 x 96 sheared lengthwise, I can get off truck by myself ( set one end down on ground at a time )and cut to shorter lengths and still have the 18" for bumpers.

I get several pcs of 14gage sheared. They strap to a pallet and it goes straight onto my truck or trailer.

I know this is getting long, but pre C19 my buddy would drive the 1/2 hr to pounding mills VA, they loaded his trailer down and would park it IN his shop use overhead crane with 6 sheet metal clamp things and set them off…no way in hell I could do that.

2 Likes

Size/weight isn’t my issue. I have a 1 ton F350 and an F550 stake bed w/ 3K lift gate, plus a 10K forklift. Portland, Oregon. Mostly concerned about pricing and best sources, tips & tricks for supply & material choices, etc.

Didn’t know how big, you got it covered there though.

1 Like

here in northern illinois i use speedymetal.com and Ryerson steel mostly Ryerson has a warehouse 2 miles from my shop and speedy metals is in Rockford about 25 miles from me. i have a car trailer so picking up big sheets is not a problem, also have a 5k forklift.

1 Like

You need to change the address to http://www.speedymetals.com/

The other address does not go to them.

Or they can click on my Speedy Metals address.

I use Ryerson Tull normally

1 Like

48"x96" 1/4 steel plate is $218 from a local supplier to me in Ohio.

1 Like

I just ordered 0.25 full sheet cut in quarters. $277.71. Is that a normal price in your market?

11ga is $136 and 16ga $72.

Good price in CT. Haven’t checked yet here in NC in my new digs.

1 Like

That’s only a few dollars more than I’m paying here right now. 11ga about $110 3/16 p/0 $246 and 16ga $68

2 Likes

1/4" A36 $243
3/16" A36 $182
11 ga A36 $138
14 ga A36 $95

These are delivered prices, its to much hassle to go and pick up.
Having accounts set up, gets a lower price in my area.

1 Like

I keep forgetting to setup my LLC with them. Always in a hurry when I go pick up. I can’t imagine having the orders delivered, I bet they are charging $75 to deliver.

1 Like

I think its around $25 last I knew. I went one time to pick up and it was like 20 minutes each way, then maybe 20-30 mins to get loaded.

2 Likes

prices seems to be scattered high and low. Here in Northern California, a 48x96" sheet of 16 gauge is $121, 14 gauge is $148 . My son’s high school got him some 14 gauge for $100 for a fair project he’s building…