Sheet cam or fusion 360

Im trying to figure if i should just stay with fusion 360 or buy sheet cam id like to know what everyone thinks thank

Why not both! :grin:

1 Like

Depends on what you do. 2D designs only? Sheetcam all the way and a svg drawing program. It’s so much simpler and takes less of a computer to run.

6 Likes

Just so that you understand F360 is both a Cad/Cam Application where as Sheetcam is only a Cam Application for post processing to G-code. You would still need a Cad Application to create your parts/arts such as Fusion 360, Inkscape, etc. Many CNC users do use sheetcam and really like it because it gives you many more options for different task. As soon as I get my Pro table built and sell my original CF table I will be purchasing Sheetcam. There are many YouTube videos that you can learn from. Hope that this helps. Good Luck!

3 Likes

I’m currently in the process of switching over from 100% F360 to a combination of software in order to accomplish the things I’m after. I spent the $$ for Sheetcam a month or so back and am slowly learning the in’s and out’s… It’s looking to me like this will end up being a true “facepalm” moment for me in my journey towards proficiency…

F360 is not the only way for me to go anymore… I’ve been playing also with QCad, Solid Edge 2020, and DesignSpark Mechanical… All good alternatives!

(Sheetcam) Most definately worth the $$ and your time…

5 Likes

I happen to use AutoCAD for all my design work. Mostly because it is what I learned while doing construction and drawing edits.

2 Likes

Adobe really has the market in a freaking chokehold. But I loathe the subscription based crap.

4 Likes

I know adobe illustrator can export .dxf, Ive been considering using sheetcam as the g-code processor are there any other alternatives to it though?

2 Likes

I use Illustrator to export SVG to SheetCam. It can do dfx, but I’d use the more modern SVG when possible. There are a few posts on here about that if you search around.

2 Likes

Sheet cam is so user friendly and simple, and intuitive, i didn’t bother looking for anything else. It’s great. There’s a reason we have to pay for stuff, and it’s absolutely worth it.

3 Likes

Inkscape might be an alternative or look into Affinity Designer…

2 Likes

Anyone here use OpenBuilds CAM -GCODE Generator link ?

Fusion 360 is a hot pile of garbage. Sheetcam is waaaaaayyyyy easier to use. You’ll thank yourself for switching over.

2 Likes

Fusion 360 is an incredibly powerful program but it takes a SIGNIFICANT time investment to learn and a high end computer to run properly. The so called minimum system requirements are no where near adequate. But Fusion is overkill for Crossfire users and causes more confusion and frustration than anything. The only reason it’s suggested is the CAM function is free. If you purchase Sheetcam and don’t need the 3D functionality for 3D printing or milling, there’s no reason to use Fusion. If you can invest the money, use Sheetcam for CAM, Inkscape for artwork, and something like QCAD for simple but accurate brackets and shapes.

2 Likes

Solid Edge 2D is pretty good also and free.

3 Likes

I’ll second that. My desktop PC has these specs: i9-7900X cpu, 64gb ram, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti graphics card. It’s pretty fast - but I still run into some slowdowns in F360. F360 will use all you can throw at it. I’ve also spent hours (days probably) learning the software. I didn’t care for it much at first - I really like it now, but that’s after lots of self training. If you are on a basic/entry level PC, you will experience lags, slowness, frustration and other problems, but you should be able to get going - you’ll just need lots of patience.

Sheetcam is great - recommend it for sure - but it’s a different workflow than Fusion360. Inkscape / Sheetcam is a nice setup for lots of folks.

I’m downloading Solid Edge 2d to play with as well and learn. It looks pretty good from the description. I’ve seen it recommended a lot, but every time I’ve tried to download it, it declines to download. I changed up my registration values and it’s working now. Didn’t seem to like “Personal” as the company name.

3 Likes

FUSION Is easy to use.
Has tons of function.
Using it for The crossfire doesn’t get any easier.
Yes it’s got a plethora of functions
But YOU ARE USING IT FOR THE CROSSFIRE.
You only need to concentrate on Sketch &
2D profile cutting.
The 100000 other things you can ignore.
Y’all make it complicated on your own for no reason.
And it’s free…
Sheetcam is good to and a good option but FUSION IS FREE and is CAD/CAM If you choose…
YOU can even design elsewhere and just use FUSION for CAM.

but I make parts and there’s nothing better for designing a part then FUSION the sketch and modeling tools are great.

INKSCAPE is awesome and free.
But like any other software if you’ve not used it before don’t expect to just download it and start sketching.
You’ll have to spend time learning how to use it.
Just like anything else

5 Likes

One thing that not everyone thinks about with Fusion is it is requires internet. You could have the best computer money can buy and if your internet connection sucks, prepare to be frustrated.

When I got the original crossfire I used Fusion cad/cam and was happy with it. As designs got more complex and intricate I found myself spending hours trying to get files to post process. I’ve since switched to sheetcam and couldn’t be happier. Files that fusion would get hung up on at random percentages doesn’t even phase sheetcam.

2 Likes

Typically that can be solved by breaking the toolpath up into multiples under one (or more) setups. That way it doesn’t need as many resources for each of the toolpaths if it’s only modeling against a subset of the objects in each toolpath. I typically do that anyway so I have different lead-in/lead-out & speed values for different objects anyway.

2 Likes

I started doing this early on so I could run different settings for small features & holes, while using a different speed for the perimeter cuts. Even then this is still a band-aid. There are files that I have seen fusion struggle with that sheetcam can process in seconds.

I can safely say that since switching to sheetcam, never once have I thought about using the CAM feature in Fusion. I can go a step further and say that I’ve even been looking a better alternative on the CAD side (I use Inventor at work) but its hard to beat free.